Active Now

Element 99
DannyPetti
my2cents
Spunky
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » I expect all of you know what ELEMENT 99 is. EINSTEINIUM discovered in the 1952 debris from the first hydrogen bomb. GUESS WHAT?

I expect all of you know what ELEMENT 99 is. EINSTEINIUM discovered in the 1952 debris from the first hydrogen bomb. GUESS WHAT?

It has always been MYSTERIOUS and ELUSIVE but it just was MEASURED FOR THE VERY FIRST TIME!

A radioactive metal of the actinide series.

What is actinide you ask?

Actinide
Any element of the Actinide series

Actinide Series
The series of radioactive elements that starts with actinium and ends with lawrencium

Actinium
A silver white radioactive  metallic element that glows blue in the dark resembling the rare earths in chemical behavior and valence

Valence
The quality that determines the number of atoms or groups with which any single atom or group will unite chemically

I was not as smart as you. I did not know that ELEMENT 99 represented anything other than an internet moniker. Now I know. EINSTEINIUM. Mysterious.

Kinda cool don'tcha think?

Posted - February 6, 2021

Responses

Very cool. The pic is a minute amount of it in a test tube with water. It is giving off a special kind of radiation.
      February 9, 2021 3:52 PM MST

I wonder how many "mysterious" things exist in our world E? It's funny I don't really understand much of anything that excites me in the world of quantum physics but I guess it doesn't matter much. I am DRAWN to it. If I had the brains for it I'm pretty sure I would have been a quantum physicist. I can't even almost imagine how exciting that would be. Quantum entanglement alone amazes me. Just the tip of a very big iceberg. Thank you for your reply and all these years I didn't have a clue why you chose that moniker. I could have asked but wasn't curious enough. Shame on me! Anyone finally I stumbled upon it! :)
      February 10, 2021 1:37 AM MST