Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » There is more to food than flavor. There is also texture. How important is texture to you? I don't like slimy. What don't you like too?

There is more to food than flavor. There is also texture. How important is texture to you? I don't like slimy. What don't you like too?

Posted - February 7, 2021

Responses

Dry. I have a swallowing disorder and I can't swallow dry foods, like white poultry meat. I assume you have never eaten raw oysters.

February 7, 2021 9:07 AM MST

You assume correctly. The only oysters I ever ate was OYSTERS ROCKERFELLER. The oyster shell was used and I guess oyster was chopped up and combined with tasty breadcrumbs with cheese on top that they put under the broiler. It was delish. Raw oysters are allegedly an aphrodisaic for a guy. Anyone who needs to swallow slimy to get in the mood is not my cuppa tea.  AARRGGHH! Thank you for the photo. How do you taste anything you swallow whole without chewing? Inquiring minds wanna know...well actually I don't. I'm never gonna wanna go there! :)
      February 7, 2021 10:49 AM MST

I don't like the white meat either.  However, my firm does an annual Thanksgiving luncheon and from wherever they order the turkey, even the white meat is succulent.  I think someone told me they deep fry it rather than roast it.  
      February 7, 2021 12:52 PM MST

Yes, texture is very important to me, almost or even more than taste.  If I don't like the texture, it doesn't matter how good the taste.  This is why I cannot eat raw fish (other than lox), oatmeal, farina, Wheatina, lima beans, tripe, sweetbreads, etc.  There are probably other foods that just don't come to mind at the moment.
      February 7, 2021 12:55 PM MST

I had fried OKRA once and it was to die for! Then I had some in a Gumbo and it was all slimy and I couldn't eat it! The only raw fish I've ever eaten was Ceviche but it is served in lime juice or something and the interaction of the lime kinda "cooks" the flesh of the fish. It is or was delicious. Raw meat is not my cuppa tea by any means. Years ago when my folks entertained my mom made a dish with raw ground sirloin steak or something. I never tasted it. She'd season it and add onions and whatever and everyone (grownups) LOVED it. Oh. Steak Tartare I think it's called. I don't like RARE meat either. We eat a lot less beef now than we used to. There is a plant-based burger..IMPOSSIBLE that is really really really really delicious! We tried the BEYOND MEAT and it's okay but nothing to shout about. Thank you for your reply L. I would never knowingly eat TRIPE! Just the idea of it is icky. Jim loves oatmeal. Me? Not so much. We love all kinds of beans and eat a lot of them which I prepare from scratch. I have containers in the freezer with barley pasta beans so whenever I want I just defrost heat season and we're off to the races! We'd have no problem coverting to vegetarian. Not vegan though. I like my butter and cheese and eggs. Not gonna give that up for anything! :)
      February 8, 2021 2:33 AM MST

I've never had okra, but I've heard that fried it's delicious.  I don't eat much meat either - mostly chicken and fish.  I bought one of those Healthy Choice plant-based dinners with "chicken."  It wasn't bad, but the texture of the "chicken" is a little softer than real chicken would be.  However, the greens, beans and grains were delicious.  I like dairy too much to go vegan, too. :)
      February 8, 2021 8:07 AM MST

I think one day homo saps will move on from eating the flesh of living things. Today we're having salmon. Not our favorite but it is very healthy so eat it we do. Today I'm trying something different though. I cooked it, skinned it and am serving it with flavored noodles. I tasted it. I hope Jim likes it. I think it's pretty good but he is the one I want to please. With that we're having brown rice with mushrooms, yams with (guess where I got this?) some pumpkin spice shaken over it braised gently in butter, steamed broccoli and cauliflower. I also did oriental cucumbers and an Armenian dish with cucumbers. It's got garlic marinated in some cider vinegar. You coat the cuke slices with it add dried mint and then add yogurt! Salt and pepper to taste. It is an Armenian staple and Jim just loves it! After all these years I've turned him into an Armenian! Thank you for your reply L! :) ((hugs))
      February 8, 2021 10:06 AM MST

Sounds delicious and you just reminded me that I haven't had lunch!  I love salmon.  I've braised the yams with pumpkin spice and butter and it is delicious.  
      February 8, 2021 11:14 AM MST

I know honey you're the one who told me about the pumpkin spice on yams. I've had that spice on hand and I just never thought of using it that way! I mean yams themselves are totally delicious. They don't need yucking up with pineapple and brown sugar and marshmallows. Just typing that makes me gag! And they are very healthy. I know you know that! Thank you for your reply! Some days we eat very plain and some days I get on a roll in the kitchen and our meal is very plentiful! Thank you for your reply L! :)
      February 9, 2021 1:48 AM MST

Sometimes I wish I liked to cook.  :)
      February 9, 2021 8:30 AM MST

I don't like I LOVE it! When I was younger I was more into baking. But as I've aged I have less and less a sweeth tooth. I'd rather buy it then invest a lot of time in it. I adore the entire process of shopping for the food, much of which is fruits and vegetables. Bringing them. Washing, paring, trimming drying, wrapping in paper towels to absorb the moisture and then refrigerating them. Jim usually does cleanup for me which I really appreciate. The only time I don't cook is if I'm ill and have no appetite. I mean cooking anything when I don't have an appetite is something I just can't do. Heat up a can of chicken noodle soup? That means I'm not feeling so good. Usually I add lost ot lemon juice to the broth and it sustains me until I feel better. Did your mom like to cook? Both my grandmother and mom were excellent cooks. My grandmother made baklava from scratch! I used to watch her do it! She has magic hands! Thank you for your reply LO! :)
      February 11, 2021 4:12 AM MST

To me, especially when it's just for myself, cooking is a chore that I don't enjoy at all.  My maternal grandmother passed away when I was 5 or 6, so I don't recall whether or not she was a good cook.  My paternal grandmother made a lot of foods from the "old" country - but everything was bland because my grandfather had heart disease and had to watch his salt intake.  My mother would have been a great cook of my dad had any sort of interest in trying new dishes.  He was probably the only person in the world who died at the age of 93 never having eaten a slice of pizza.
      February 11, 2021 6:24 AM MST

No pizza? What flashed in my head was the first time I tasted NUMERO UNO pizza. I was on a date I think and we went out after a movie. I don't know if it still exists but it was a DEEP DISH pizza and oh my goodness so GOOD! I'm not adverturous when it comes to yucky things like sweetbreads. Or raw fish or meat or "organs". Well my mom did make very good calve's liver. But how can you know if you like/dislike unless you try? Thank you for your reply L! :)
      February 11, 2021 7:04 AM MST

You can't know if you like something if you don't try it.  Unfortunately, my dad refused to try a lot of things simply because he didn't like what they looked like.
      February 11, 2021 7:09 AM MST

What about what it smelled like? I mean who can smell PIZZA and not want to take a bite? You know what? Maybe his tastebuds were out of kilter and maybe the aroma of the foods weren't that appealing to him? I always wonder what foods taste like to others or what aromas reach people and which are unappetizing?. I know what they taste like to me but perhaps what things smelled like turned him off enough so he didn't want to taste them? Thank you for your reply L! :) This post was edited by RosieG at February 11, 2021 7:14 AM MST
      February 11, 2021 7:13 AM MST

Well, smell and sight are two things that make foods appealing, but not everyone smells or sees things the same way.  I can't even look at oatmeal or farina without gagging and the smell is like wet cardboard.
      February 11, 2021 7:15 AM MST

Precisely sweetie! Exactamundo! How you perceive something with your senses makes all the difference and of course we can't know how that is for others. I just think PIZZA would exceed any llimitations but that's just me! I've often wondered what Limburger cheese smells like. I've never seen it in a market and I've heard it really is an unpleasant smell. I wonder how anyone could get past THAT to taste it? Thank you for your reply! :)
      February 11, 2021 7:32 AM MST

I haven't smelled Limburger cheese either, but I hear it's pretty gross.
      February 11, 2021 7:38 AM MST

Me too! How or in what way hopefully we will never know! :)
      February 11, 2021 7:58 AM MST

When we were kids, we called okra 'snot bottles'. None of us liked them.
      February 8, 2021 10:35 AM MST

EEEEWW! How did your mom prepare them E? Do you remember? Oh they also have pickled okra at the market and I've tried them and they are good. We liked pickled anythings. They are not slimy at all. I know there's a trick to cooking with okra so they don't get slimy. I just never figured out how to perform it! Thank you for your reply E! :)
      February 9, 2021 1:50 AM MST