Active Now

Spunky
DannyPetti
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » The only way I could earn a living as a sales person would be for the customers to come to me and ask to buy what I had to sell. You too?

The only way I could earn a living as a sales person would be for the customers to come to me and ask to buy what I had to sell. You too?

Posted - February 14, 2021

Responses

Customers are meant to be avoided at all costs.  Unfortunately, I have a "super brain" and automatically memorized the palace of every item in the store (no matter what store I worked at, or how many times they were remodeled).  Other employees sometimes had a vague clue to the location of a few items, but mostly they sent the customers to me.  (Nooooo!)
      February 14, 2021 12:01 PM MST

Another similarity we share. In addition to my full-time job I also worked Monday nights, Friday nights and Saturdays at a bookstore in Pasadena, California named VROMAN's. Now I was low person on the totem pole and every section had managers. I was the straighten upper and duster. I'd go through the piles of books on the display stands and on the shelves to make sure they were in the proper place carrying a dustcloth with me to use as needed. I got to know the stock well and at some point the section managers would come to me to ask where we were getting low and what needed more copies. I was flattered at that and felt even at my low station at the store I was making a contribution. When I gave notice the man who hired me asked me to please stay on and mentioned something about taking some classes that the store would pay for so I'd have a career selling books. That was extremely unexpected. Maybe I should have taken him up on his offer. I've always loved bookstores and libraries though I think there are very few of either left.  Geez that was 6 decades ago! I don't even know if VROMAN'S is still there. Good memories. Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :) This post was edited by RosieG at February 15, 2021 9:28 AM MST
      February 15, 2021 2:43 AM MST

I wouldn't make a good salesperson.  If someone doesn't want a product, I wouldn't be good at trying to overcome their disinterest.  For the same reason, I wouldn't do well asking people to donate money for a cause.  I would put it out there and if they want to donate, they donate.  If not, I wouldn't contact them individually.
      February 14, 2021 3:39 PM MST

Me too. I think I know why. I dislike being hounded so I try not to do or be that which I dislike intensely. But when my son was in Little League if there were functions held to raise money I had to no problem taking tickets to the office to "sell" my co-workers. They were very good sports about it. But I couldn't approach strangers. When you're a Little League Mom you do stuff like that "for the kids". Thank you for your reply L! :)
      February 15, 2021 1:36 AM MST

I remember selling Girls Scout cookies at my office when one of my nieces was in Scouts.  That's an easy sell, though since it's only once a year. :)  The prices have gone up to $5 a box here in NYC.  They may well price themselves out of the market.
      February 15, 2021 11:11 AM MST

I just wish they were healthier. Ingredients lists on them are not reassuring or comforting. I'd like a nutritionist to create the recipes. Healthy food is delicious. Why don't they try it? Thank you for your reply L! :)
      February 16, 2021 4:29 AM MST

It's probably more expensive to make a healthier cookie.  The last time I bought them, I had the opportunity to have them sent to the troops, which I did.  They never entered my home, so no temptation for me and hopefully, some soldiers appreciated them. :)
      February 16, 2021 6:51 AM MST

You are  a true treasure L. How kind of you to do that. To the best of your ability you are GIVING BACK. I believe it's called NOBLESSE OBLIGE. I'm not sure though. I say KUDOS to thee from me! And GOOD JOB! Instead of complaining about the dark you just switch on a light. Thank you for your reply L! :) This post was edited by RosieG at February 16, 2021 3:33 PM MST
      February 16, 2021 1:36 PM MST

Thank you for a great compliment.  I have a soft spot in my heart for the military.
      February 16, 2021 3:33 PM MST

By now you KNOW I never say anything I don't mean. I'm just calling it like it is sweetie! Thank you for your reply! Proud of you am I. If I said that before it bears repeating! :)
      February 21, 2021 12:25 PM MST

Thanks, again. :)
      February 21, 2021 12:49 PM MST

You're very welcome! :)
      February 22, 2021 2:39 AM MST

I sell my products for a living.  I do not have to convince anyone to buy something.  I do not do and do not like hi pressure sales people. 

I find it is best to be knowledgeable about the product and be able to help the customer find what they want. I don't consider myself a sales person...I am more of a customer service person. 
      February 16, 2021 7:39 AM MST

Thank you for your reply m2c and Happy Sunday to thee and thine! :)
      February 21, 2021 12:26 PM MST