Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Element 99
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Now that virus variants are increasing and spreading faster and potentially becoming deadlier we're advised to double mask. Are you?

Now that virus variants are increasing and spreading faster and potentially becoming deadlier we're advised to double mask. Are you?

Yesterday when we went to Walmart I doublemasked and also wore my face shield. It was not even noticeable to me at all so that's what I'm going to do. Are you double-masking too when you go out (because you HAVE to)? How many folks will ignore that too refusing to even single mask?

SIGH.

Posted - February 17, 2021

Responses

I haven't been double-masking, but I just ordered a reusable mask from Etsy and I will combine that with the disposable ones.  I finally got my first Covid shot, but I'm not giving up being careful.  
      February 17, 2021 8:18 AM MST

Thank you for your reply L and Happy Thursday to you. We're holding out for the Johnson and Johnson one-shot. Don't know if we will have a choice but one can hope. What worries me is that the virus mutates so rapidly. Currently there 7 new strains that allegedly were born in the states. How do we know the origianl vaccine formula developed for the original version will be effective? Anyway sweetie hope your second shot causes no adverse side effects. :)
      February 18, 2021 2:28 AM MST

The J&J has its good points, but I don't think it's as effective as the other two on the original strain.  I am still not sure how well it works on the new mutations.  Apparently, they all provide lower risk of hospitalizations and death, but it's a crapshoot.  I didn't have a choice, but I did want the Moderna, which is what they were giving where I went.  Happy Thursday - it's snowing again in NYC. :) This post was edited by SpunkySenior at February 18, 2021 7:05 AM MST
      February 18, 2021 6:53 AM MST

It isn't but that doesn't matter. It is 72% and if you have that protection you do not die. You also don't get very ill either. But I'm glad you got your vaccine and hopefully it will work as well against all the variants. I see life as a pincushion potential. Worst case. Thank you for your reply L and Happy Thursday! :) This post was edited by RosieG at February 18, 2021 7:55 AM MST
      February 18, 2021 7:06 AM MST

Seeing as it's taken this long to get ANY vaccine, I didn't want to wait for the J&J.
      February 18, 2021 7:56 AM MST

You know what's true L? I'm afraid. Bottom line I'm afraid of the two-vaccine vaccine. The first shot requires time and then you get the second shot which side-effect wise is where the danger lies. I know it's minute but still it's there. Also the vaccines we have now are less effective against the South Africa variant which allegedly will be dominant in the US by March. Do we get vaccinated for each new variant with a new formula to combat that mutation? Pincushion our way ahead? I'm stalling and I'm going to do more research. I honestly do not know what the RIGHT thing to do is for us. Thank you for your reply!:)
      February 19, 2021 4:27 AM MST

I understand how you feel.  There is a lot that is not known and the longer we wait to get everyone vaccinated, the more likely it is that there will be more mutations.  Now, with the extreme weather/snow conditions, the delivery of doses from the manufacturers will be delayed yet again.  We had about 3" of snow yesterday, a dusting on the ground then I woke up this morning and now it's snowing again.  Some of the vaccination centers have closed, mostly because of a lack of doses.  The Universe is certainly testing our mettle.  Happy Friday. :) This post was edited by SpunkySenior at February 21, 2021 10:03 AM MST
      February 19, 2021 8:27 AM MST

Testing our mettle! Boy that's for sure What more could happen? Geez maybe I shouldn't have asked! Thank you for your thoughtful reply L. Our shipments are delayed due to the weather. We got an email from Kaiser informing us what's happening and what's not. Sigh. What we need is NOTHING BAD HAPPENING for awhile. No fires or earthquakes or tsunamis or floods. That would help. :)
      February 21, 2021 8:10 AM MST

FedEx and UPS have hubs in the south which is why shipments are delayed.  I hope you guys can get your shots soon.  
      February 21, 2021 10:05 AM MST

Kaiser is very good at keeping us plugged in. There are something 9.3 MILLION Kaiser members in southern California so it's a daunting task. I mean it would be a huge undertaking without any glitches or weather upheavals. As it is we just will be grateful when things settle down and can get working to go forward not stand still. Thank you for your reply! :)
      February 21, 2021 12:12 PM MST

The medical group where my internist practices has been emailing, but I was able to get my first  shot before they've even gotten doses.  Walgreen's said it notifies your doctor that they've given you the dose when you give them your doctor's name and address.  I've done that.
      February 21, 2021 12:52 PM MST

Excellent. There are many places here in southern California that are offering the vaccine. But I feel better going through Kaiser. I mean they saved my life when I had cancer so I feel better doing that. Meanwhile we are doing what we always do. Mask glove social distance use Lysol wash our hands and minimize going out. It's worked so far. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      February 22, 2021 2:31 AM MST

I wear a mask outside my home, wash my hands as soon as I come back in, and social distance to the extent possible, but I don't use Lysol or gloves.  I pretty much only go out to the supermarket, but that's about it.  
      February 22, 2021 6:22 AM MST

I lysol masks and gloves that are not washable. I lysol the mattresses and pillows every week when I change the sheets. But I have been doing that for many many DECADES. My mom did it way back when and I just always did it when I had my own home so that is nothing new! Different strokes. I use gloves when I go to the market and handle all the packages. I push the cart by the handle and I don't know who was there before me. The gloves are washable and we have quite a few pairs. Jim got them at Harbor Freight and they were very inexpensive. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      February 22, 2021 7:18 AM MST

No, I'm not.  I wear a cloth mask that my sister made (and as a seamstress, she doesn't believe in using thin material).  She designed it to hold a filter (originally paper towel, but that didn't pan out).  So, essentially, it is a double mask - outer layer plus inner layer with thin pocket in between).  To wear anything else on top of it would suffocate me.  
    So far the hospital here hasn't asked anyone to double mask, but they have banned cloth masks.
      February 17, 2021 11:17 AM MST

Lucky you! Clever gal! You know what I wonder though Shuhak? Will there still be masking when you are as old as  am now? I don't see a future without masking any longer. Do you? I mean the mutations keep occurring so rapidly and that's just this particular virus. What about all the others out there on deck baiting to be at bat? Sheesh. Thank you for your reply! :)
      February 18, 2021 2:31 AM MST

"They" are excessively cautious. Too slow easing restrictions last time round and looking likely to repeat the mistake. This is partly to blame for weaker strains of the virus evolving out in favour of more virulent ones. The risk is of course real, but not to the extent that we are being scared into thinking. 
      February 22, 2021 8:28 AM MST