Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » We all have a window to the world and the ability to communicate with one another. What would we have done without that?

We all have a window to the world and the ability to communicate with one another. What would we have done without that?

No computers no telephones no radio no television.

Once upon a time none of that existed. Would we all have gone stark raving mad if that were the case when Covid hit? Think about it. Whom would you be without your phone or radio or computer or TV?

Posted - Mon at 2:37 AM

• 16106
    I don't think we would have gone mad.  You can't miss what you don't have.  Somehow, people managed before all that technology was invented.  
      February 22, 2021 11:05 AM MST
    1

• 103088
    I wonder if there is something deep within us that would have pushed us over the edge? I guess early on people were mostly terrified and probably hung out due to safety in numbers. I don't know. I'm old enough to remember having just a radio for entertainment. Before TV and long before computers. We went to the library every week and got books. We'd gather together to listen to favorite radio programs. Burns & Allen. Jack Benny. Amos and Andy. It was a much simpler life then but I don't remember feeling deprived because you're right. How can you miss what you've never had? Thank you for your reply L! :)
      February 23, 2021 5:40 AM MST
    1

• 16106
    I came in at the beginning of television.  My dad was working in a radio and tv shop at the time, so he got a good price for a TV.  My extended family all lived in the same building and on Friday nights, everyone used to come to our apartment to watch wrestling or whatever else was on.  There weren't many programs at that time.  My mom used to listen to the radio when she was sewing clothes for us.  Yes, those were much simpler times.  Kids went outside to play.  There was little obesity back then because there were no fast food stores or packaged meals.  Most families cooked fresh foods.  Kids got more exercise - even in the winter we were outside after school.  
      February 23, 2021 10:51 AM MST
    1

• 103088
    Argentine Roca? He drop kicked I believe. We had no idea it was performance art and not real. It was very entertaining! I remember playing outside until dark...till mom called us in. Riding our bikes. Sliding down hills on cardboard. Playing jacks or hopscotch or hide and seek or roller skate or ride our bikes. I dunno. We filled out our days with being outdoors and just doing what kids do when they have free time. We had a creek a couple of blocks away. You'd go down a small hill into a quiet darker place with a stream running through. It was like a magical quiet safe place you could go to...it was close to home but far away in imagination. Who does that today? Anyone? We'd see polywogs and fireflies. Thank you for your reply L! :) This post was edited by RosieG at February 23, 2021 3:20 PM MST
      February 23, 2021 12:37 PM MST
    1

• 16106
    Antonino Rocca.  My maternal grandmother used to love watching him and would get so excited when he wrestled.  Yes, we did the same things minus the stream - I'm a city gal.  
      February 23, 2021 3:21 PM MST
    1

• 103088
    I just giggled L. Trying to imagine a creek in New York City! On the other hand you do have CENTRAL PARK! Now there's a park ideally located! Thank you for your reply! This post was edited by RosieG at February 24, 2021 3:28 PM MST
      February 24, 2021 1:21 AM MST
    1

• 16106
    There are some creeks in NYC - mostly at the upper tip of Manhattan.  Central Park is beautiful and very big.  When I worked closer to it, I would go there on my lunch hours and watch the seals in the small zoo they have.
      February 24, 2021 3:29 PM MST
    1

• 103088
    I think Central Park is a miracle frankly. In the heart of NEW YORK CITY a huge enormous GORGEOUS park? Surely you jest. Nope you don't. There have been enough movies that included scenes in Central Park that makes it warm my heart. I can't even almost imagine that in the heart of downtown Los Angeles. Of course we have the many beaches to compensate but it isn't the same thing. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      February 25, 2021 3:48 AM MST
    1

• 16106
    We have some lovely beaches, too - just not in the heart of Manhattan. :)
      February 25, 2021 8:58 AM MST
    1

• 103088
    Where are they? When I lived in Massachusetts there was one named CRANE'S BEACH. Of course they had Cape Cod which was and is quite lovely. Nothing like southern California beaches though. Not remotely. But that was a very long time ago. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      February 25, 2021 1:41 PM MST
    1

• 16106
    Queens County has beaches and Long Island has Jones Beach, Gilgo Beach, Tobay Beach, etc.  Some are open only for residents of that county, but others aren't.
      February 25, 2021 5:02 PM MST
    1