Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » We all have a window to the world and the ability to communicate with one another. What would we have done without that?

We all have a window to the world and the ability to communicate with one another. What would we have done without that?

No computers no telephones no radio no television.

Once upon a time none of that existed. Would we all have gone stark raving mad if that were the case when Covid hit? Think about it. Whom would you be without your phone or radio or computer or TV?

Posted - February 22, 2021

Responses

I don't think we would have gone mad.  You can't miss what you don't have.  Somehow, people managed before all that technology was invented.  
      February 22, 2021 11:05 AM MST

I wonder if there is something deep within us that would have pushed us over the edge? I guess early on people were mostly terrified and probably hung out due to safety in numbers. I don't know. I'm old enough to remember having just a radio for entertainment. Before TV and long before computers. We went to the library every week and got books. We'd gather together to listen to favorite radio programs. Burns & Allen. Jack Benny. Amos and Andy. It was a much simpler life then but I don't remember feeling deprived because you're right. How can you miss what you've never had? Thank you for your reply L! :)
      February 23, 2021 5:40 AM MST

I came in at the beginning of television.  My dad was working in a radio and tv shop at the time, so he got a good price for a TV.  My extended family all lived in the same building and on Friday nights, everyone used to come to our apartment to watch wrestling or whatever else was on.  There weren't many programs at that time.  My mom used to listen to the radio when she was sewing clothes for us.  Yes, those were much simpler times.  Kids went outside to play.  There was little obesity back then because there were no fast food stores or packaged meals.  Most families cooked fresh foods.  Kids got more exercise - even in the winter we were outside after school.  
      February 23, 2021 10:51 AM MST

Argentine Roca? He drop kicked I believe. We had no idea it was performance art and not real. It was very entertaining! I remember playing outside until dark...till mom called us in. Riding our bikes. Sliding down hills on cardboard. Playing jacks or hopscotch or hide and seek or roller skate or ride our bikes. I dunno. We filled out our days with being outdoors and just doing what kids do when they have free time. We had a creek a couple of blocks away. You'd go down a small hill into a quiet darker place with a stream running through. It was like a magical quiet safe place you could go to...it was close to home but far away in imagination. Who does that today? Anyone? We'd see polywogs and fireflies. Thank you for your reply L! :) This post was edited by RosieG at February 23, 2021 3:20 PM MST
      February 23, 2021 12:37 PM MST

Antonino Rocca.  My maternal grandmother used to love watching him and would get so excited when he wrestled.  Yes, we did the same things minus the stream - I'm a city gal.  
      February 23, 2021 3:21 PM MST

I just giggled L. Trying to imagine a creek in New York City! On the other hand you do have CENTRAL PARK! Now there's a park ideally located! Thank you for your reply! This post was edited by RosieG at February 24, 2021 3:28 PM MST
      February 24, 2021 1:21 AM MST

There are some creeks in NYC - mostly at the upper tip of Manhattan.  Central Park is beautiful and very big.  When I worked closer to it, I would go there on my lunch hours and watch the seals in the small zoo they have.
      February 24, 2021 3:29 PM MST

I think Central Park is a miracle frankly. In the heart of NEW YORK CITY a huge enormous GORGEOUS park? Surely you jest. Nope you don't. There have been enough movies that included scenes in Central Park that makes it warm my heart. I can't even almost imagine that in the heart of downtown Los Angeles. Of course we have the many beaches to compensate but it isn't the same thing. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      February 25, 2021 3:48 AM MST

We have some lovely beaches, too - just not in the heart of Manhattan. :)
      February 25, 2021 8:58 AM MST

Where are they? When I lived in Massachusetts there was one named CRANE'S BEACH. Of course they had Cape Cod which was and is quite lovely. Nothing like southern California beaches though. Not remotely. But that was a very long time ago. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      February 25, 2021 1:41 PM MST

Queens County has beaches and Long Island has Jones Beach, Gilgo Beach, Tobay Beach, etc.  Some are open only for residents of that county, but others aren't.
      February 25, 2021 5:02 PM MST

Thank you for your reply L! The last time Jim and I went to the beach area was when Rich was attending UCLA to get his Ph.d and lived in Santa Monica. He got it in 2004. In 2005 he moved to Denver where he lived for two years. In 2007 he got his dream job at the University of Hawaii on Oahu and he has been teaching and living in Honolulu since 2007. So no reason to go to the beach any more. We live about 70 miles inland. We have great memories though of those times! :)
      February 26, 2021 8:17 AM MST

The Long Island beaches are about 45 minutes away from my house (if there isn't too much traffic), but I'm not a beach/sun person anymore.  I have enough freckles already. :)
      February 26, 2021 8:34 AM MST

Me too neither. When I was about 50 the doc said no more sun goddess for you! Also I take a prescription med that tells me to stay out of the sun. Also I've had skin cancer...it was basal cell not the more serious kind but once is enough. So I avoid the sun. My days of baking till I'm "done" are done! Thank you for your reply L! :)
      February 27, 2021 2:10 AM MST

I'm very fair-skinned, so I tend to burn rather than tan.  Some years ago, when I was in Ecuador, I went out on my friend's terrace at 7:30 AM to have my coffee.  Figuring it was well before noon, the height of the sun, I didn't put on any sun block.  I never factored in that I was at the Equator, not in NYC and in just half an hour, had a sunburn that was one of the worst I've ever had.  Since then, I can't sit in the sun.  
      February 27, 2021 6:26 AM MST

Wow! Lesson learned. Very scary m'dear. No skin cancer problems I hope. I bet it was quite painful. I have olive skin I guess it's called. So I have had sunburns but generally I'd turn a nice deep tan. It was fun when I was young but I think had I to do it over again I'd be much more careful about applying sun screen. It's funny I don't remember so much emphasis on protecting the skin from bad rays as I do getting certain lotions that will help you get a really good tan. Never visited a tanning parlor but lots of people did and maybe still do. You can also skin cancer from doing that I have read. I know what you're going to say! "Too soon old too late schmart!" So next time around if there is a next time and I'm smarter I'll hopefully do better! Thank you for your reply! Another week here of mild temps. This winter is much milder than last winter was. I hope that bodes well for a cooler summer! :)
      February 27, 2021 6:32 AM MST

No skin cancer of which I'm aware, but I know that a burn like the one I had could take years to manifest into something.  When I was a teenager, we used to use iodine in baby oil to reach that "tan."  One of my sisters is olive complexioned and was a devout sun worshipper.  She looks like a California raisin now.  Next time around, if there is a next time, I want to have a little darker skin tone, I want to be taller and I want to have a great pair of gams.  

The weather here is rainy today, tomorrow and I think Monday.  The temps are not frigid and the good part about the rain is that it's getting rid of all the dirty snow that was left over.  
      February 27, 2021 6:37 AM MST

Besides too much sun smoking can cause wrinkles as well. I never smoked and I don't have wrinkles but I do sag a lot. Everything drops as we get older. Eventually gravity gets us! I'm glad no cancer yet and you are correct. Do you go to a dermatologist at all just to make sure or just rely on your regular doc to spot anything that might need care? Thank you for your reply L! For me I just want one thing next time around. I want to be smart enough to be a quantum physicist.  In other words a genius! Oh well. One can always hope! :)
      February 27, 2021 7:01 AM MST

All of us smoked at one time or another, so that did factor in.  I gave it up 3 years ago, but my Raisin sister is still smoking.  

Yes, everything that used to be in my northern hemisphere is around my equator and everything at my equator is now in the southern hemisphere.  I have gone to a dermatologist to have some skin tags removed and she took a look and said everything looked fine.  I guess I should go back for a more thorough exam.  

The problem with being a genius is that you would lose patience with everyone not as smart as you.  I have enough trouble as it is, so I'm going for the Victoria's Secret look in my next lifetime. :)
      February 27, 2021 7:48 AM MST

Sex GODDESS? Oy vey. You know once upon a time I bought a very nifty curly long haired wig. Wore it to work the next day and the traffic I got from just doing that? I never wore it again. I'm not built to be a sex goddess either outside or inside. I couldn't believe the difference in how I was treated by the guys I worked with. I WAS MARRIED at the time too. It shocked me. So I put away any thought of inspiring that kind of attention. Even now when I think of it I SHUDDER. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      February 27, 2021 8:28 AM MST

I just want to look like a goddess. :)  I had a similar experience when I decided to go blond.  Got a lot of whistles when I walked by construction sites, but I'm pretty sure those guys will whistle at most gals because I got a few of those after I became a senior citizen, too. :)
      February 27, 2021 9:34 AM MST

Oh geez my friend I am so the OPPOSITE of you. No disrespect to you at all. When I'd get whistles I thought it was disrespectful. It made me feel very uncomfortable. I've dressed very modestly my entire life so as not to call attention to myself. Of course being painfully shy as a child being noticed/singled out was the worst thing that could happen to me. I never outgrew it apparently. I don't see myself as demure but I have never been one to be "out there". I like to come in stay and leave without turning any heads. Weird? Thank you for your reply L! :)
      February 28, 2021 3:08 AM MST

When I was younger, I used to think it was disrespectful.  Now that I'm old, I find it amusing if I get a whistle passing a construction site. :)  I don't look for the attention, but sometimes you just can't help getting it.
      February 28, 2021 8:05 AM MST

Some gals flaunt their stuff. Some don't. I don't think all flaunters are "bad" girls nor are all who don't "good" girls. It's just a different way to go through life. I love pave diamonds. I don't like the big huge rocks. I think the big huge is out of balance with the size of my hand. Not that I would turn one down but wearing it is something else again. Some women shout their arrival with the mode of dress and adornment and paints and fake body parts. Again they're not "bad" they just focus on appearance a bit much. Different strokes! Thank you for your reply L! :)
      March 1, 2021 5:35 AM MST