Active Now

WelbyQuentin
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Why is it ok for Pelosi to consider overturning a certified House election but not a Rep to challenge an election result?

Why is it ok for Pelosi to consider overturning a certified House election but not a Rep to challenge an election result?

House committee considering a House race in Iowa.  It has been certified by the state. It has been ruled on by the courts.   She did not bother to challenge in the courts in her state. 

Posted - February 22, 2021

Responses

You really need to do a better job of understanding what occurred here and stop disseminating false information.  First of all, the margin was only SIX votes, not millions.  Secondly, you state that the courts ruled on this - THEY DID NOT.  

"Instead of challenging the results in court, Hart contested the election with the House in a formal petition. Her campaign has identified 22 voters in the 2nd District who voted legally, but whose ballots were not included in the final tally. Hart is asking the House to launch a review of the election and count these legal voters -- which would make her the winner."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/iowa-congressional-contest-heats-up-as-house-takes-first-step-to-review-election-challenge
      February 22, 2021 8:38 AM MST

No state was decided by millions. The disputed states have only a few thousand difference. And there is evidence of more than the difference in disputed votes as well. 

Where did I mention the amount?  Does it matter if the votes are 6 or 12 or 12000.  
    She has every right to dispute the election. But she should have done that already. This is February. The election was Nov.  She should have challenged it in her state.  The state certified the result.  She should have already filed in court to dispute...not in the House. 
    (I was incorrect...she did not file in court so no ruling from a court. I think I merged the other challenged seat in NY when writing my question) 

Why is is ok for this Dem to not even challenge in her own state? 
      February 22, 2021 1:59 PM MST

No state in Trump's election was as close as 6 votes, so don't try and compare the two.

Having decided not to bring it up in a court action, the matter is now where it is.  If Trump had done something like that, you would have an excuse for why he did what he did.
      February 22, 2021 9:36 PM MST

Again I did not mention numbers.  

But there are states were there are more than enough questionable votes than the difference.

I do not believe the a House committee should be able to overturn an certified election.  Nothing in Congress is unbiased or nonpolitical.   They could order the state to investigate and report back.  But the House should not has such a power to just install who they want without the state's consent. This post was edited by my2cents at February 23, 2021 10:56 AM MST
      February 23, 2021 5:58 AM MST

You'll have to take that up with the state's legislature.
      February 23, 2021 10:47 AM MST

The state should sue the House if they overrule their election. 

The Dem had the opportunity to challenge within the state...she did not. She should not be allowed to bypass the state itself.
      February 23, 2021 10:56 AM MST

I'm not spending any more time on this because it doesn't concern me.  I don't live in that state.  
      February 23, 2021 10:57 AM MST

It should concern us all. If they can over rule on state they can overrule others.
      February 23, 2021 11:01 AM MST

Every state gets to set their rules.  That's called States Rights.  
      February 23, 2021 11:09 AM MST