Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Following is a list of the 14 most nutritious veggies allegedly. I've never had KOHLRABI. Have any of you and if so how do you fix it?

Following is a list of the 14 most nutritious veggies allegedly. I've never had KOHLRABI. Have any of you and if so how do you fix it?

Spinach
Carrots
Broccoli
Garlic
Brussels Sprouts
Kale
Green Peas
Swiss Chard
Ginger
Asparagus
Red Cabbage
Sweet potatoes
Collard Greens
Kohlrabi

Posted - February 28, 2021

Responses

Preparation and use

Kohlrabi stems (the enlarged vegetal part) are surrounded by two distinct fibrous layers that do not soften appreciably when cooked. These layers are generally peeled away prior to cooking or serving raw, with the result that the stems often provide a smaller amount of food than one might assume from their intact appearance.

The bulbous kohlrabi stem is frequently used raw in salad or slaws. It has a texture similar to that of a broccoli stem, but with a flavor that is sweeter and less vegetal.

Kohlrabi leaves are edible and can be used interchangeably with collard greens and kale.

Kohlrabi is an important part of the Kashmiri cuisine, where it is called Mŏnji. It is one of the most commonly cooked vegetables, along with collard greens (haakh). It is prepared with its leaves and served with a light soup and eaten with rice.

In Cyprus, it is popularly sprinkled with salt and lemon and served as an appetizer.

Some varieties are grown as feed for cattle.[
      February 28, 2021 9:37 AM MST

Thank you very bigly for that information-filled reply. Do you eat it? I'm going to see if Walmart carries it. If not our local Sprouts market might. Happy Monday to thee and thine! :) This post was edited by RosieG at March 1, 2021 7:13 AM MST
      March 1, 2021 2:40 AM MST

I have never tried it, but it sounds like too much work. I would rather just eat red cabbage, which is on the list and we both like.
      March 1, 2021 7:14 AM MST

Work? You forget I am a FOODIE. I love to shop for food. I love to bring veggies home and wash them and trim them and package them so they stay fresh and put them in the fridge. I love to see a recipe I want to try and have everything I need on hand to make it. Being in the kitchen cooking is among my favorite things. Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday to thee and thine! :)
      March 1, 2021 7:17 AM MST

I used to grow Kohlrabi.  Kind of like an above ground turnip.  I only ate them  raw, and wasn't that impressed.  

Between me and my sister, we've grown everything on that list except ginger and asparagus (asparagus is a long term crop, and due to the climate here isn't worth the trouble).
      February 28, 2021 12:07 PM MST

Wow! Color me impressed m'dear! So Kohlrabi is like a turnip? You know what surprised me? That Avocado wasn't on that list of most nutritious. But if you can eat them raw then you could use them as you do jicama in salads for crunch. Anyway I'm going to see if Walmart carries it. Tuesday is our Walmart day. I like jicama. Is the flavor of Kohlrabi anything like that? Thank you for your reply Shuhak. Growing your own food is awesome! :)
      March 1, 2021 2:38 AM MST

Kohlrabi is sometimes called 'German turnip', but it is not in the same family as turnips. It is in the same family as cabbages.
      March 1, 2021 7:16 AM MST

Thank you for that extra added bit of info. I appreciate it. :)
      March 1, 2021 7:18 AM MST