Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Are you a "limited-to-the-Bible-Christian"? Do you believe GOD exists within the front and back covers of a book written over decades?

Are you a "limited-to-the-Bible-Christian"? Do you believe GOD exists within the front and back covers of a book written over decades?

Written by many different people. Whose books that were allowed to be included were based on the politics of the times? Some books were EXCLUDED like ENOCH for example. WHY? It was not a GOD-based exclusion. It was a man-made exclusion.

I am not a limited-thinking person. GOD gave me this brain to use and I do. It isn't I/me who created it. I was born with it. To question what makes no sense which I do. GOD has not shown me in any way that HE is displeased with me for being what I am. How could he? HE created me.

What's YOUR story?

Posted - March 6, 2021

Responses

God is everywhere. 
    The Bible is simply instuctions and history of humans and earth.

Bible was written over thousands of years....not merely decades.  This post was edited by my2cents at March 6, 2021 6:01 AM MST
      March 6, 2021 5:59 AM MST

What Is God?  

Now, if one talks to god, then it’s fair to assume that they believe that there is a “god” of some kind.  So, so, what is that god?  Is it a human concept; words in a book; a fairy tale?  Is it a pacifier; something we use to help us feel comfortable when we’re down, like an imaginary friend?  If god is simply a fictional character, then taking to it would be like talking to mother goose or superman.  One can say whatever they want to it, but the only reply will be whatever their own thoughts make up.  Or is god a real being?  If it is a real being, is it less than, equal to, or greater than our self?  If it is less than or equal to our self, then it isn’t a god, it’s just another “person”.  Yet if this god created and gave you something that you are unable to create, then it must be greater than you are.  If it can create something greater than anyone anywhere is able to, then it is greater than those people are as well. 

If this god created you, then, considering the intricate workings of you body and mind, it must be very intelligent.  It the entire history of humans, no one else has ever created anything near as complex and unique as you are.  Even your DNA is unique.  Anyone who can do this surely deserves the title “god”. 

So what about this god?  We say he’s all knowing, and yet we put limits how much he can know.  We say he’s all powerful, yet we put limits on how much he’s able to do.  If this god wanted to write a book, could he use other people to write it for him?  Or is that beyond the scope of his power?  If this god did write a book, would people be able to sneak around behind his back and alter it without him knowing about it? 

God did “write” a book (the bible).  But who’s to say it hasn’t been altered over the years?  No one.  However, if we truly believe He is as all knowing and all powerful as we say, then we have to have faith that He can prevent His book from being altered beyond what He desires.  He says repeatedly in His book that one must have faith in Him.  Not blind faith, but faith.

My story is - I have looked at the evidence presented to me and have concluded that God does exist.  Furthermore, I have checked out other writings and have concluded that the bible is truly God’s word.  The other writings simply don’t hold true.  Since I believe that the bible is Gods true word, I seek to serve and worship Him by listening to and doing what He asks therein.  I don’t try to worship/serve Him based on how I feel or how I think He might want to be worshiped/served, but how He asks.

March 6, 2021 5:47 PM MST

Thank you for your thoughtful exposition on the nature of GOD. I think we all have a particular individual relationship with GOD based on whom we are. Those of us who do believe in a "supreme" being that is since not everyone does which is fine. To limit it to a set of specifics has never made any sense to me. We perceive conceive believe differently I expect. There is no "one size fits all" at all. My bottom line is this. GOD gave me what I have and made me. What I must needs do in return is be the best I can be based on my "ingredients". So I try to be that. It may not be what others would like or whom they are but that matters not. Being true to me is most important. Being popular or accepted or liked? Not on my "to do" list. I think I honor GOD best by simply being me. Not a robot automaton who walks in step with the rest of the "good" people. If GOD made us all alike we'd be all alike. HE didn't so we aren't. I have no problem with that. Some do. That's their cup of tea not mine. Happy Sunday to thee and thine Shuhak! :) This post was edited by RosieG at March 7, 2021 1:58 PM MST
      March 7, 2021 2:19 AM MST