Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Glorious start. Wondrous. The 1980 "Miracle on Ice" when the USA gold medaled in ice hockey. Remember?

Glorious start. Wondrous. The 1980 "Miracle on Ice" when the USA gold medaled in ice hockey. Remember?

Mark Pavelich just died at the age of 63.

He was in a mental hospital being treated because in August 2019 he went after a neighbor with a 4-foot metal pipe.

How sad is that?

Posted - March 6, 2021

Responses

It is very sad and I read that they think his condition was possibly caused by traumatic brain injuries.  If you get hit in the head hard enough over time, it prevents your brain from working properly.  This is borne out by similar occurrences in so many football players and boxers.  
      March 7, 2021 7:23 AM MST

Precisely. Very sad the endings. So filled with promise the beginnings. It is what it is. No comfort there. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      March 7, 2021 7:57 AM MST

I'm afraid we haven't seen the last of these kinds of injuries.  In truth, this is their choice - then know the possible consequences, yet they embark upon the sports anyway.  
      March 7, 2021 9:53 AM MST

Just like those who smoke. The evidence is incontrovertible. Smoke and die from lung cancer. 90% of lung cancer deaths are due to smoking. Yet smoke they continue to do. I don't know if it's a death wish deep down or simply hostility and defiance? Either way it makes no sense to me. People are what they are and will continue to do what they do. And pay for it. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      March 8, 2021 4:15 AM MST