Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » For all scifi fans, physicists and wannabes. This one's for you! Warp drive possibilities using conventional physics?

For all scifi fans, physicists and wannabes. This one's for you! Warp drive possibilities using conventional physics?

Superluminal travel a la star wars and star trek achievable?

Well Eriz Lenz, Physicist thinks so.

Posted - March 12, 2021

Responses

It really depends on what one means by "warp drive".

In Star Trek, warp drives were engines that went at of faster than the speed of light (warp one is the speed of light, warp 2 is twice the speed of light, warp three is 3x the speed of light, and so forth).  That’s nice in science fiction, but in reality, it’s not quite as easy as saying, “take us to warp one”, because here in the real world we’re bound by the laws of physics.

The faster an object goes, the more mass it obtains (inertial mass).  The greater the mass, the greater the energy is required to move it.  As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass gets so great that it approaches infinity.  Therefore, it would require infinite energy to move it.  Photons (light particles) have no mass; therefore, they don’t have that problem.  Then there’s that pesky thing called time.  At the speed of light, time stops (time dilation).  For a photon, there is no time, everything happens instantaneously.  So trying to make a photon go faster than the speed of light is like bringing your car to a stop and trying to go slower.  It can’t be done.

Another type of warp engine is one that is able to fold the space (including time)around it, then use use Einstein Rosen bridges (i.e. wormholes) to cross from one folded plane to another (think a folded piece of paper – but in 4D).  Theoretically, this may be possible.

In Star Wars, ships travel long distances by using something called “hyperspace” (theoretical dimensions beyond the three we experience day to day), that propel them at speeds faster than light.  This “theory” assumes that light operates differently in these other dimensions AND that the other laws of physic remain the same.

March 12, 2021 12:20 PM MST

Have you Googled Eric Lenz Shuhak? Thank you for your thoughtful and informative reply. Oh. Different subject entirely going back to many months. FYI. SIGH.

Remember we chatted about hearing aids? I think it was your mom who needed them and got them but you said it's no good unless she wears them which she doesn't? I told you about Jim's stroke and how it affected his hearing adversely? OK. Well he got a pair at Costco a few months ago and went in for adjustments and apparently it's use is connected to his Smart Phone which I don't understand. They spent most of the time in the box. He saw an AD for an upgrade on sale when he read his monthly Costco magazine so he went back and traded in the ones he had for the "new and improved". You know what's coming. He doesn't wear those either. He just got them and isn't wearing them in the house. I asked if he was only going to wear them out and he said "yes". I doubt that too. You called it. Having them means nothing if you don't wear them. I don't get it but I don't have to try them on. I wonder how often it happens? I shall ask! :)
      March 13, 2021 8:09 AM MST

Googling Eric Lenz got me a scoring recruiter at Amazon, a linebacker, 2 obituaries, facebook pages, a paycheck summary from 2016, and LinkIn saying there a 60+ professional profiles under that name. 
      March 13, 2021 9:49 AM MST

Dd you put Eric Lenz PHYSICIST? Or just the name. It doesn't seem that ordinary to me like a joe brown would be. That's interesting. Well I'm gonna GOOGLE ERIC LENZ PHYSICIST and see what happens. What could it hurt? Thanks for the feedback. Sometimes ya gotta go the extra distance to get there! :)
      March 14, 2021 4:20 AM MDT