Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » The George Floyd family got a $27 million dollar settlement from the city of Minneapolis. Does the Derek Chauvin "trial" continue?

The George Floyd family got a $27 million dollar settlement from the city of Minneapolis. Does the Derek Chauvin "trial" continue?

Why bother? He's white so he is gonna walk. White is always right especially on a cop. Right? White right. Right white. White white. Right right. Right?

Dog & Pony Show trial for whose benefit? We the people know he will NOT be convicted of anything.

Then he will turn around and sue the city for whatever he can get out of it. Cop wins once again. White is right. Right is white. What's so hard to understand about that?

Posted - March 13, 2021

Responses

I think most of the world is watching that.

With the best will it is hard to see how Derek Chauvin or Floyd's family can be guaranteed a fair trial or sentence now, and it will be interesting to see what if any effect that settlement has on the outcome of the trial. Though no-one doubts his guilt of unlawful killing of whatever is the proper legal definition, the country at large does need a full and proper hearing and appropriate sentence. 

A couple of years ago an academic from Newcastle University visited the USA to study why so many people - predominantly coloured but whites too - are killed by police officers in the course of their duty, and nothing seems to be done about it. She reported that in most cases the Police Departments basically bought the victims' families off by paying big out-or-court settlements. I wonder if the Chauvin case will change that practice.

She also said some of her interviewees told her they need ones like her - visiting from abroad - to ask these questions.

'
    And  now of course we have a case of a policeman charged with a random murder of a woman in London - though not as a police officer. He was off-duty at the time.  
      March 14, 2021 5:51 PM MDT

I thought cops were never "off duty". I thought they always carry a loaded gun so they can use it if necessary "on the job". Cops rarely get what they deserve when they commit murder. Juries are weirdly cop fans it seems. So they are insulated against being punished for whatever wickedness they are guilty of having done. I expect the world is more racist than not. I don't know if the US is the most racist country in the world but we are the noisiest loudest most annoying and dare I say disgusting about our racism/bigotry. In my opinion. Thank you for your reply Durdle! :)
      March 15, 2021 3:21 AM MDT

The problem is police CULTURE. 90% plus of cops are good cops, but the "thin blue line" closes ranks around the bad ones, protecting them. When the bad ones are outed (and fired), the problem will go away.
    I'm not expecting that to happen soon, if ever.
      March 15, 2021 3:29 AM MDT