Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Some things we used to do we still do. Some things we used to do we no longer do. Is that called progress or regress?

Some things we used to do we still do. Some things we used to do we no longer do. Is that called progress or regress?

What did we used to do and no longer do you wish we did? What do we do we used to not that you wish we still did not?

Change is not always for the better. Do you engage in all change regardless of the outcome? Or are you PARTICULAR independent free of the burden of needing to "fit in"?

Posted - March 14, 2021

Responses

I think the childhoods that many of us seniors was more carefree than what kids are doing these days.  We spent a lot of time playing outdoors, socializing with friends outside of school, we weren't worried as much that someone would snatch us off the street and mass school shootings were unheard of back then.  Obesity wasn't as much of a problem because Mom cooked meals from scratch without additives and preservatives.  Yes, frozen foods are a Godsend for those of us who don't like to cook or don't have the time because of working outside the home, but they really aren't that healthy for you.  

There are some modern conveniences that are wonderful, but when it comes to technology, everyone you look at is looking at their phones.  People can hardly take their eyes off them to see what is going on around them and this is not just kids - talk a walk through Grand Central Station and you'll see that everyone is doing it.  
      March 14, 2021 7:49 AM MDT

That attachment addiction to cell phones is mighty scary to witness. A bunch of automaton robots engaged with a DEVICE 24/7! Tell me that isn't weird? They spend more time on that contraption than actually engaged with real live people. Now since COVID 19 and social distancing I get why. But the years before? And once we get "back to normal"? Back to robotic automaton or automatic robot engaged with in love with an electronic device that they throw away as soon as the newest and improvest is available. Like clockwork or a pendulum. Mechanized society. Just what we always hoped for! :)
      March 14, 2021 8:52 AM MDT

I get really annoyed when someone is so engrossed in their phone that they aren't paying attention to traffic lights that turn green, their turn on a bank/ATM line, etc.  I want to take that phone and stomp on it.
      March 14, 2021 10:34 AM MDT

I know. They choose to opt out of the now and what's going on around them and escape into a nether world another world of electronics. Reminds of a scifi flick I saw decades ago. A human gets caught in an electronic game. Imagine that if you can? Just thought of a question. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      March 19, 2021 5:33 AM MDT