Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Our mechanized society is addicted to electronic devices...short term. As soon as the new/improved is on market they buy it . Loyal to what?

Our mechanized society is addicted to electronic devices...short term. As soon as the new/improved is on market they buy it . Loyal to what?

Whatever is new and improved.
Whatever has the most bells and whistles
Whatever impresses others the most

On and on and on and on and on and on and on

Neverending.

Posted - March 14, 2021

Responses

They're not loyal, they're addicted. 

Gotta have it!  Gotta have it!  If I don't get it right now, I'll die.

We're so addicted to electronic devices, that when the power goes out most people don't know what to do.  Of course, they could always Google it, but their battery's down to 10% and they forgot to charge their juice box. 

Then there's advertising.  They make it sound as it you can't live without the "newest" model.  ...   

"Get version 9.0, only available for a limited time!"

"Version 10.0 comes with a convenient on/off button!"

"New "11 platinum" comes in stylish new colors!"

"Iphone 1500 now comes with "Silent Siri".  You can ask Siri any question you want, but you won't be able to hear the answer!

"Introducing - iPhone Nikes!  the only phone ... in a shoe!"

They may sound absurd, yet consumers constantly fall for these lines; shelling out billions of dollars for these devices each year
    Yet, does anyone really need a phone that can cook an egg WHILE you're texting?  Or a printer that can talk to your refrigerator?  Or a TV the size of a minivan?  Where does it stop?
      March 14, 2021 11:31 AM MDT

STOP? WHAT SAY YOU? STOP? EGADS they've only just begun! Know what I wonder? How many folks would rush to shrinks if their Smart Phones stopped working everywhere? How long before the entire country would go into a very deep depression? Not joking. Attachments to electronics seems stronger than attachments to other human beings. In fact I shall ask why that is? It's quite obvious. Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      March 15, 2021 12:00 PM MDT

Shrinks?  Why, without a phone they couldn't even get to their shrink (how can one drive without GPS?).
    Back in the 60's and 70's,  the  power here went off every time a large storm rolled through each winter (and we had a lot more than just 1 storm).  Sometimes the power was out for days. And if we got more than a foot of snow (extremely often), the power could be out for a week or more.  People here knew this, and each fall they prepared for it (non-perishable food, kerosene for lamps, extra firewood, cards and games, etc.).  Nowadays, people complain if the power winks out for over 1 minute.  If its over an hour they're ready to burn down PG&E.  Whenever PG&E has a PSPS, they are required to have charging stations where people can go and charge their phones and other electronic equipment.  People simply can't survive without their smartphones. 
      March 15, 2021 2:43 PM MDT

Insidious inevitability is what it is Shuhak. Decades ago there were mobile phones in cars. Very large and kinda awkward. I could always reach my boss (she and her husband owned 7 McDonald's restaurants so she was often out of the office on her way to one of them. It was just a PHONE. It did nothing else. How could we know that phones would turn into these monstrous addictive thingies way back then? I wonder if there is a link in there somewhere to the Peter Principle? Promote people to the level of their incompetence. Improve products to the level of their controlling you? It's just so weird. Turning phones into computers. Oh you know what that reminds of? Dick Tracy and his watch. Couldn't it do everything? Also James Bond and his gadgets. A pen that's really a gun? I think I'm gonna ask. Run it up a flagpole and see what happens. Thank you for your thoughtful and informative reply. Can you imagine today's homo saps crossing the country in covered wagons and building towns? I know. Ludicrous. I'll ask that too! :)
      March 16, 2021 2:43 AM MDT

Hmmm... let's see what would happen if we did put a todasy person back then...

Let me get this straight... you expect me to spend months in a wagon that doesn't have a heater or air-conditioning??

What do you mean it'll take a few months to reach Frisco?  I have an important meeting there this afternoon and no one seems to know where the nearest airport is.

Excuse me, I paid for first-class.... so why am I riding in a coach?

What's this stage's Wi-Fi password?

Do you know the telegraph symbols to order a pizza?

March 16, 2021 10:30 AM MDT

Hahahahahahahahahahaha. OMG Shuhak ya got me giggling nonstop. Guess what? Doing that long enough HURTS MY STOMACH! Can you tone it down just a tad next time? I can't read it again. I try and I keep bursting out laughing. I used to be able to go the distance with you. I guess I'm just getting too old. So by your reply I gather you get my gist.

Seriously. How did our ancestors ever do what they did? I mean for me being first generation American. How did they have the courage to leave their countries and travel in whatever class of ship they could afford...probably steerage...to go to a new country and gamble that it would be better? I can't see me doing that. How did they? Then there are the wagoners and settlers and builders of homes and cities. Where did they get that drive? When I think about it it simply amazes me! They definitely were made of STERNER STUFF than homo saps of today. We've chatted a bit about this before. Many who are so high and mighty with all their gadgets and money would probably not survive it. Too soft. Too spoiled. Too selfish. Thank you for your reply. :) Laughter is the best medicine! :)
      March 16, 2021 2:44 PM MDT

A friend whose interests include photography has some impressively high-quality (and priced) equipment , and takes excellent photos.

He told me though of fellow camera-club members whose photography was never quite as good as it could have been, thanks to their endless chasing after the Very Latest model of camera, the one extra shutter-speed, that shiny new accessory. It prevented them from gaining deep enough experience of the particular camera to judge almost instinctively quite the right settings for the scene. 

'

The early settlers in America and other countries found the courage from desperation. They were escaping things like religious persecution, war, famine, poverty. In the days of sail-power only, the voyages across the Atlantic or round the South of Africa and Asia were desperately slow, miserable and dangerous, too; and cost many lives by illness, accident or shipwreck.

Once arrived, it was a matter of having to be wagoners, settlers, builders; to survive.

Oh yes, they were certainly tough, but also very determined.
      March 17, 2021 5:01 PM MDT

That is a very profound observation m'dear. Taking the time to get to KNOW the product. What it can do and what it can't. Not something one can do in an instant. But when the New & Improved hits the market they move to that and leave behind something they never gave enough attention to. Is it that the attention span is lacking? They truly believe "new and improved" is truthful and not just another sales pitch to get them to "HAVE TO HAVE IT"? That is what the manufacturers/creators/inventors count on. Most homo saps with the money cannot resist "NEW AND IMPROVED". Is everybody happy? Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday to thee and thine! :)
      March 19, 2021 4:53 AM MDT