Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Has any other virus ever developed so many variants/mutations so quickly? What is going on with COVID 19 that is unique?

Has any other virus ever developed so many variants/mutations so quickly? What is going on with COVID 19 that is unique?

Posted - March 19, 2021

Responses

I don't study viruses, so can't say if others mutate quickly or not.
    I do know we have to get the flu vaccine every year, because there are major mutations in it - and they guess which will be the greatest threat.

Speaking of the flu ... you probably won't hear it being reported, but testing for flu is WAY down.  Like over 90% reduction.
    They are so focused on testing for COVID, that if you have symptoms that could be either flu or COVID - they will only test for COVID.
    If that is negative, they rarely test for the flu.
      March 19, 2021 2:54 PM MDT

I know thousands of people die from the flu every year Walt. Jim and I get our yearly flu shots without thinking twice about it. I think "they" are always trying to keep ahead of the newest flu variant too. But has there ever been a flu pandemic? This COVID 19 seems to be a thing apart though perhaps it isn't. It's a lot better now information-wise since President Biden ENCOURAGES Dr. Fauci to give updates and be available to answer questions. But the virus itself seems to mutate in a different more deadly way. Are all mutations the same set pattern? What differentiates them? The specific virus that triggers things? I think the relaxing of stuff is going to guarantee more spikes and surges. Some countries or cities in europe had to go into LOCKDOWN again and I expect we will too. The obdurate macho dude white FOOTOO adoring worshippers REFUSE to get the vaccine. The kids for Easter Week are frolicking about as if there is no problemo. It shows how weird homo saps can be. Only it affects all of us..not just them....sadly. Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday to thee and thine! :) This post was edited by RosieG at March 20, 2021 2:36 AM MDT
      March 20, 2021 2:35 AM MDT

There has indeed been a flu pandemic, 1918-1920. Killed more per capita than COVID did too.
      March 20, 2021 3:23 AM MDT

Was that the SPANISH FLU? Thank you for your reply R. Totally different tangent. Gonna ask. Is how you have earned your living how you planned to early on or is what you've done jobwise surprising to you? I never had a specific job plan but how I ended was completely surprising. Same for you?
      March 20, 2021 3:28 AM MDT

Not even close, but that's a LONG story.
      March 20, 2021 3:30 AM MDT

I just asked the question R. I LOVE long stories. So if  and when you care to share I'll be there! :)
      March 20, 2021 3:33 AM MDT

Arguably all that's "unique" about Covid other than being a new SARS species is the rapid rise from epidemic to pandemic.

That's thanks partly to mild cases seeming to be "just" a bad cough so it could establish itself quite widely before it was potted; but particularly to the world's population rising rapidly and being far more mobile than in the past. 

The 1918-19 Influenza Pandemic (a.k.a. but totally wrongly, the "Spanish" flu) behaved similarly because it happened among huge numbers of troops returning home around the world from a war of a type never previously known in its extent of involved countries.

In past centuries, enteric epidemics were common but fairly local. Bubonic Plague and Smallpox though, hitched lifts between countries on trading-ships, and indeed Quarantine is from the Italian for Forty Days, when that and lock-downs were precautions used even 400 years ago when the infectious nature of diseases was recognised but their carriers were not identified and their pathologies were total mysteries.
      March 21, 2021 4:42 PM MDT