Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Ought everyone be able to forgive? Is everything forgivable or are some things beyond the pale and not?

Ought everyone be able to forgive? Is everything forgivable or are some things beyond the pale and not?

Where does the burden lie most heavily?

On those sinned against who are loathe to forgive or those who sin and expect to be forgiven?

I know what I think. What do YOU think?

Posted - March 22, 2021

Responses

Should everyone be able to forgive?  Yes. 
    Are all things forgivable?  Yes.
    Are all people willing to forgive?  No.
    Are all people willing to forgive all things?  No.
    Are some offences extremely hard to forgive?  Most definitely!
    Do all people have to accept forgiveness (if offered)?  No.

The "burden" (as you put it) lies heavily on the one whose conscience is bothering them.  

Now, I know what you're going to say... things like rape, murder, child abuse (etc.) are unforgivable.   So before I go any further, let me just say that forgiveness does NOT mean absolution.  Forgiveness is NOT glossing over or denying the seriousness of an offense.  Forgiveness does NOT mean forgetting, condoning or excusing offenses.  What happened, happened and it can never be erased.  Forgiveness, though, is simply a deliberate decision by a person to release feelings of resentment or vengeance toward a person or group who has harmed them, regardless of whether they actually deserve that forgiveness. 

It's one thing to say "I could never forgive {insert offence(s) of choice here}.  It’s another to live through the offence(s).  Anger at something is never as strong as the anger when that something happens to you.  Anger is like an acid.  It burns and eats away at a person holding it, until eventually it’s all that left.  Forgiveness, on the other hand, brings the forgiver peace of mind and frees them from that corrosive anger.

So again, in MY opinion…

Should everyone be ABLE to forgive?  Yes.  But that doesn’t mean all people will.
    Are all things forgivable?  Yes.  But again, as of now, not all things have happened to me.
    Do all people have to ACCEPT forgiveness (if offered)?  No.  They can hold onto the anger, bitterness, resentment, and hatred as long as they choose.

March 22, 2021 3:25 PM MDT

If the offender does NOT SEEK WANT OR NEED forgiveness does the offended person forgive anyway? A one-way street works? Isn't reciprocity critical? You say "I forgive you" and the person says go stuff it up your butt! I know that's a bit harsh but well they say things like F off all the time. So can forgiveness be given even if it is not wanted? I do not forget and why would you forgive a person who intentionally seeks to harm you? Jesus said "forgive them Father for they know not what they do". Well folks who INTENTIONALLY harm know exactly what they are doing. I don't see the point of fprgiving frankly. How is that not SANCTIONING the act by forgiving it? You forgive a debt so the person owes nothing. Now I don't revenge or retaliate. I just avoid. I don't harbor ill thoughts (except for FOOTOO..the only exception). I move on and don't look back. If I were to say "I forgive you" it would be a lie and I don't so that's out. But no one has anything to fear coming from me. I just cut all ties and move along and never look back. It's just how I see it Shuhak. I used to wonder why people go out of their way to be unkind. That was when I was young. I know why now. They are just miserable vermin who get off on harming insulting attacking lying cheating stealing betraying. Millions of them apparently. Sadly. The onus is on THEM not me. They sin. I don't think my not forgiving them is a sin at all. I think it simply is facing reality. I know that's  justification and rationalization. Thank you for your thoughtful reply. If I ever hurt you and say "I'm sorry" know that I WILL MEAN IT. Whether you forgive me or not is out of my control. :) This post was edited by RosieG at March 23, 2021 4:18 AM MDT
      March 23, 2021 4:14 AM MDT

Often the offender refuses forgiveness, as either they don't recognize an offence, or they don’t believe the offence was their fault. 

Reciprocation isn't always a necessity.  Some people have forgave a person who died many years earlier (definitely no reciprocation gonna happen there).

Forgiveness does NOT mean one has to forget the offence.  Nor does it mean one is sanctioning the offence.  It simply means you no longer hold the offense against them.  Your citing of Jesus is an excellent example.  Here you have an innocent man - the Son of God Himself, no less - being treated as if he were a common criminal.  He’s cruelly nailed to a cross (a torturous form of execution), soldiers gamble for his clothes, and crowds of people mock and laugh at him.  Those people sure didn't want forgiveness.  As far as they were concerned, they were doing anything wrong.  Now, God, on the other hand, had every right to, as we might say, “vaporize every last one of them” for what they were doing to His son.  Jesus asked Him to forgive them instead.  God didn’t forget that offence (as if it never occurred), rather He forgave it.  Jesus was in essence saying, Father, don’t hold this against them, because they really don’t understand what they’re actually doing.

Forgiveness is NOT easy!  Sometimes we just want to put the incident out of our head.  What’s done is done; move on; don’t look back.  That’s perfectly fine.  However, sometimes our mind doesn’t fully leave it behind.  Sometimes it keeps a little root connected to the incident.  It may be inconsequential, or it may start to bug us, days, months, maybe even years later.  Sometimes forgiveness is a way to ease that troubled mind. 

March 23, 2021 12:08 PM MDT

I have heard parents tell the person who murdered their child that they forgive him. I have never understood how that is possible. But I have heard they forgive for their sakes not for the sake of the murderer. I also don't understand that at all. But I do think about it and wonder how much strength does to actually forgive the worst most heinous thing a parent can face? It goes beyond anything I am capable of Thank you for your reply m'dear! :)
      March 23, 2021 12:27 PM MDT
  • Bez

The thing that's too beyond the pale to ever forgive is false accusation. If there is anything worse than false accusation, it's false accusation after 1970.
      March 23, 2021 4:21 AM MDT

Sounds to me as if you have a personal story to tell. Care to share Bez? Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday to thee and thine! :)
      March 23, 2021 1:01 PM MDT

I have so many personal stories I could write a book of them and it would have over 1000 pages. Suffice to say that I out-and-out forbid false accusation in 1970, thus making it impossible for me to forgive it even if I'm still alive in 2070. Happy Sunday, Rosie! :)
      March 28, 2021 8:35 AM MDT

I don't see why anyone should should forgive anyone for going out of his/her way to harm them. Now if unintentionally or accidentally you are harmed but that was not the intention then depending on the circumstances and the person it might be. Not forgiven exactly but tolerated. I mean the act is done and can't be undone whatever it is. All the importuning and mea culpa and whatever changes NOTHING. It happened and it cannot ever unhappen. That is the bottom line. I don't think you can forgive if you don't understand. Maybe some can. Not me. Thank you for your reply Bez. Now if you were alive to fight against false accusation and you speak of 2070 how old would that make you then? Inquiring minds want to know these things. :) Happy Sunday right backatcha m'dear! :) This post was edited by RosieG at April 15, 2021 12:49 PM MDT
      March 28, 2021 8:53 AM MDT

I'll be 108 in 2070 if I live that long. Happy Thursday, Rosie (although this particular date is not really happy as it is the anniversary of two major tragedies, the Titanic in 1912 and Hillsborough in 1989).
      April 15, 2021 12:51 PM MDT

Are you a healthy person m'dear? Do you make it a point to eat nutritious food, exercise and avoid known dangers like smoking? Any addictions you can't quit that will shorten your life? My mom lived to be 95 but had a lot of medical problems. My dad had a heart attack at age 55 and died. He smoked 3 packs of cigarettes for years and I expect that's what killed him. I'm 83 and very healthy. I expect to live to my triple digits and my Jim is 85 and very healthy. He will be right by my side. So for me 108 is not out of the question. How active and alert we will be I can't say but I have high hopes! I think every day can be a happy day if you focus on the good things. Even 9/11. Even December 7. There will always be tragedies to endure and remember but we don't have to make those the focus of our lives. Sorry for the lecture. Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday to thee and thine. I won't be here when you are 108 but I trust you will celebrate! :)
      April 16, 2021 3:46 AM MDT

I used to smoke but I quit a couple of years ago. My dad was a heavy smoker and he too died of a heart attack (he was 74). My mum is still alive at 85. Happy Friday, Rosie! :)
      April 16, 2021 6:29 AM MDT

Gee Bez I am so very happy to hear that you quit! It's never too late to quit. The lungs start slowly clearing up. So your dad lived about 20 years longer than mine but I think treatment was way different during my dad's time. Good that your mom is still alive. I do hope her quality of life is good. Jim and I are so very lucky. Minimal health issues. Nothing gets in the way of living our lives as we wish to. Well the pandemic has put a dent in it but other than that we're cruisin'! Hope you and your family are too and continue to be doing well! Thank you for your reply Bez! :)
      April 16, 2021 6:34 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply as well, Rosie. :)
      April 16, 2021 11:31 AM MDT

You're welcome m'dear. Happy Saturday to thee and thine Bez!)
      April 17, 2021 6:04 AM MDT