Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Once a plane begins a steep dive down is there a point at which it cannot be saved from crashing?

Once a plane begins a steep dive down is there a point at which it cannot be saved from crashing?

Posted - March 23, 2021

Responses

Yes, when it reaches the point where the pull of gravity is stronger than the engines' ability to lift it up.  A plane is able to remain aloft because of Bernouli's principle:

Bernoulli's principle helps explain that an aircraft can achieve lift because of the shape of its wings. They are shaped so that that air flows faster over the top of the wing and slower underneath. ... The high air pressure underneath the wings will therefore push the aircraft up through the lower air pressure.
      March 24, 2021 11:40 AM MDT

Geez L I never heard of that before! "Bernoulli's principle" eh? So if the wing shape were different the plane would not get the "lift" it needs? Now I'm trying hard to understand how it is possible for the air the plane goes through can flow "faster" over the top of the wing and "slower" underneath. My brain can't seem to get there L. But thank you for the excellent explanation.Do YOU understand the why? Sigh! :) ((hugs))
      March 25, 2021 4:39 AM MDT

Don't feel bad - I don't understand it either!  One would think that the loft would be achieved with more air underneath.
      March 25, 2021 7:51 AM MDT

It's the same air above and below. Why there would be any difference between the two I don't understand. AARRGGHH! Anyway thank goodness I don't have to understand stuff to have it work. The world would be a terrible shape if it did rely on me "getting it"! Thank you for your reply L! :)
      March 25, 2021 11:19 AM MDT

It is much more complex than that. The explanation usually given has some faults, but it is close enough to not be completely incorrect.
      March 25, 2021 7:57 AM MDT

Too many variables to give a precise answer...Mass of the aircraft, type of aircraft (Commercial, military fighter, personal small aircraft, etc.), skill of the pilot, speed and angle of approach.
      March 24, 2021 12:49 PM MDT

This reminds of replies I'd get from OLD SCHOOL. He'd always start out with "it's complicated" and then proceed to tell me why. Thank you for your reply E! :) This post was edited by RosieG at March 25, 2021 7:39 AM MDT
      March 25, 2021 4:33 AM MDT