Active Now

DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » So is it true when you really love someone sometimes you just have to suck it up and take it then?

So is it true when you really love someone sometimes you just have to suck it up and take it then?

Posted - October 23, 2016

Responses

If you're asking whether the maintenance of a loving relationship takes a lot of work and compromise, yes. As for 'sucking it up (implying having to take more abuse than one gives),' that's not a sign of a healthy, loving relationship. Two people who love each other don't usually get into abusive contests.
      October 23, 2016 11:17 PM MDT

Sometimes, yes, you will not prevail when you hit an impasse. Sometimes you will.  Sometimes you agree to a third possibility, of which neither of you  held as your first choice.  It's compromise.  And it's exhausting when you've been on your own for a long time. 

You do not have to "take" anything though.  That smacks of disrespect.  That is the worst thing too.  To know you are not respected and to lose respect for the person you love. 
      October 24, 2016 12:51 AM MDT

• Yes. 
      October 24, 2016 1:15 AM MDT

• I was going to write a long, and probably boring monologue, but I do believe TQ &TM above have hit the high points rather well ... In summary, I'll just add on average, you shouldn't be putting out more than you're getting back
      October 24, 2016 1:17 AM MDT

• Yes
      October 24, 2016 8:57 AM MDT