Active Now

Malizz
Randy D
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Why can’t some of the same liberal multibillionaires who bought votes for the 2020 presidential election help people get identification if

Why can’t some of the same liberal multibillionaires who bought votes for the 2020 presidential election help people get identification if

that’s truly what’s preventing some of them from voting?

Valid, unexpired government-issued identification would also help them in many other areas of their lives beyond registering to vote and voting, it would also help them year-round, not just when they’re needed as pawns in election cycles. It’s probable that having identification that doesn’t expire in one, two, three or however many years their jurisdiction issues them for, will open numerous doors for people in need. Such a benefit can hardly have any negative connotations at all.

Multiple multimillionaires and multibillionaires loudly and proudly touted how they provided registration drives, voter education sessions, transportation to polls, and other extremely helpful methods in order to ensure that people would make it to the polls in several local, state and federal elections in 2020.  Additionally, some of them paid for bail, bond, parole, probation, appeals, fines, fees, etc. along with legislation and changes of regulations that prevented convicted people from voting. So if it is true that certain minorities simply can’t vote because they lack proper identification, have the purse strings slammed shut now that elections are over?

Posted - April 6, 2021

Responses

If if if if.  IF people aren't voting it isn't because they can't manage to get an ID.   The same wheels that take them to get food will take them to get an ID.  Can  you tell I'm exhausted from this years old stupid conversation. 
      April 7, 2021 1:47 PM MDT

About 10 years ago, I challenged someone who claimed that getting government-issued identification was impossible by asking him how much beer and alcohol he was able to buy in a year’s time. “Well, that’s completely different,” was his lame reply.
    —-

April 7, 2021 5:50 PM MDT

Sadly, I have no problem believing you.  The whole argument is just used to pass legislation that is ridiculous. 
      April 7, 2021 9:18 PM MDT

It's actually rather mystifying how anyone can go through life without a driver's license or state ID.
      April 7, 2021 10:03 PM MDT

• I'm not opposed to requiring ID for in-person voting, but I think there are some conditions that should be met first:

The ID should be free. There should not be a cost of entry to voting, that's essentially a poll tax. An expired ID should not prevent voters from voting, it’s not like one’s identity typically changes much. New IDs should automatically be issued upon moving, a name change, and expiration. IDs should be easily obtainable (or at least able to be ordered and mailed to one's home) at city hall or something, programs can come to high schools to sign people up (they do so for voter registration, should be the same with ID). It's weird that in America an "ID" is the same as a license to drive. Not everyone drives. We should have ID issued to everyone regardless of whether they drive. If someone doesn't have an ID, they should be able to present something else like a utility bill or a credit card statement or passport or something along those lines. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at April 13, 2021 10:10 PM MDT
      April 8, 2021 11:26 AM MDT

When you state, “the ID should be free”, I’m not sure if you’re referring to what I proposed in that the rich benefactors assist people in obtaining identification, or if you mean that all government-issued identification in general should be free, or if you mean that specifically for the purpose of voting, identification should be made free. I see a viable path to ensuring that people get identification being paid for by those millionaires and billionaires I mentioned, and unless someone can point it out to me, I don’t see any negative side to it.

As for your point about identification is generally considered to be a drivers license, keep in mind that you and I are in California, a state very much attached to its car culture. There are other places in the US, where a drivers license is not the preeminent form of identification, such as places where fewer people drive and/or own vehicles. Even in California, the push for children to get government-issued identification was a big push when my children were just entering elementary schools over twenty years ago along with the responses to the high-profile crimes that were being committed against children. Programs were being introduced to fingerprint children so that if they were ever kidnapped and whisked off for years or decades, the fingerprint trail offered another avenue for solving cases. Part of those programs also had DMV issuing identification cards for the children with pictures and biographical information, the exact same identification that has always been available to adults who do not drive or cannot drive (for whatever myriad of reasons).  Other places beyond California, those with or without car cultures, offer ways for people to acquire identification that is not a drivers license. 

While you won’t get an argument from me about your statement that “We should have ID issued to everyone regardless of whether they drive.”  However, there are some people who tout privacy issues, enforced government meddling, anarchist views, even those who are using aliases for nefario reasons, some resist that idea. I’m not saying they are right or wrong, I’m not saying you are right or wrong. 

~

April 8, 2021 1:09 PM MDT

Over here one must have a Govt issued ID to do anything,  It is really no big deal.  Randy I am with you as to being mystified
      April 8, 2021 12:39 PM MDT

• Are ID cards optional in the USA for citizens?  The national ID card, which is also the social security card, is mandatory here.  I need to show it when I vote so I don't get a ticket in the mail for failure to vote.  I carry all five of my photo IDs with me, which are my national ID card, my driver's license, my gun license, my passport and my non-resident work visa for the USA.  If I were caught in the USA without the last two, I would be in a lot of trouble.
      April 13, 2021 10:09 PM MDT

There’s no law in the US requiring its citizens to obtain and/or carry a national ID card/document, nor does any such mandatory card/document exist. There are certain US federal government functions, policies, processes, and procedures for which one must produce a birth certificate or a passport or other documents, but it’s not a blanket rule that each and every adult must have one in his or her possession. For instance, there are particular federal jobs that require proof of US citizenship, and to travel outside of the US or return to the US from foreign territory, a passport is required. If a person has no need to obtain a passport or no desire to obtain one, such as not planning any foreign travel and a return to the US, he or she does not have to get a passport. Theoretically, while it either becomes very difficult or outright impossible to do certain things without valid federal government-issued identification, it is when someone wishes to or attempts to do those things that the federal government can, may, or does require a person to obtain one, but I reiterate that there is no law specifically stating all must acquire national identification.

The US social security card is also not strictly mandatory across the board, meaning that while more than 90% of working adults need one (this is only one example because there are people other than working adults who have to get one), there are situations and circumstances wherein a person can legally do without ever obtaining a social security account, account number, or a card. The social security card does not include a picture of the cardholder, so it is not strictly a fully functional identification method. The social security account, number, and/or card are required for many purposes, I stress, however, that it bolsters one’s identification but does not fully identify a person.

In my career, I dealt with people from countries all over the world, and I am therefore well aware that many countries have national identification cards and/or other national identification documentation. The purposes and names of the documents are as varied as there are countries in the world, and often, a change in government leadership or other social, civil, political, cultural, etc. events can also change those requirements for said country or countries. Residency card, voter identification card, national census document, social security card, unique document of identity card, regional/tribal identity card, citizenship card, are just some of the many names. The people from foreign countries who come to the US are sometimes quite surprised that this country does not have such a requirement or system. 

Lastly, each state or territory of the US has its own laws on identification requirements.  Those are not national requirements nor are they national identification documents. They may be used all over the nation, sure, even in other parts of the world, but they are not considered national identification documents on the same sense that other countries have national identification documents. 

~

April 13, 2021 10:53 PM MDT

Randy here it is mandatory for anything.  Essentially you have 2 picture ID's

1.  National ID with your picture.  Your fingerprints are also on a digital file

2.  Your E-card for health insurance

One does pay for their National ID, a one time fee 5 Euros

April 15, 2021 7:44 AM MDT

(Where is “here”, please?)
      ~

April 15, 2021 7:46 AM MDT

Austria, Vienna 19 District bewtween Severinger and Krottenbacher Strasse

Map of Krottenbachstraße, 1190 Wien, Austria
      April 15, 2021 7:48 AM MDT

Thank you. 

~

April 15, 2021 8:23 AM MDT