Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » "What the world needs now is HATE GREAT HATE. That's the only thing that we have too little of...." Are you doing YOUR part?

"What the world needs now is HATE GREAT HATE. That's the only thing that we have too little of...." Are you doing YOUR part?

Posted - April 14, 2021

Responses

Yep.  I hate beets! 

Well…. that's actually not true.  I don't actually “hate” beets, I just think that when it comes to flavor, they have very poor taste.    

Hate is defined as – “the emotion of intense dislike; a feeling of dislike so strong that it demands action.”

A feeling of dislike so strong that it demands action....  Demands action.  I don’t know about you, but to me the word “demand” sounds rather threatening.  “I demand you do this!” or  “I demand you do that!” ...  Or else!!

I hate beets, therefore I must take action!  I must obliterate every beet from the face of the earth!     Egad!  What about the (weird) person out there who loves beets?  It doesn’t matter.  Since I hate beets, I must take action and destroy them all!!!  And that include any beet lovers too! (bunch of weirdos!)

A bit over the top, don’t you think? 

Now how about that first part of the definition of ‘hate’... “the emotion of intense dislike”.  That doesn’t sound very threatening.  Dislike.  What is ‘dislike’?  Dislike is defined as - a feeling of aversion or antipathy.  Aversion simply means to “turn away, or avert one’s eyes from”.  Apathy comes from the Greek words “anti” (against) and “pathos” (feeling).  So basically, apathy means “opposed in feeling”.  Nothing very ominous there either. 

I dislike beets.  No anger there.  It’s simply my preference.  If you like beets then so be it.  Enjoy them (although I still think you’re a bit weird).

Perhaps we should just dislike instead of hate.  After all, no one is going to like everything … well…except for Brussels sports.  Everyone loves Brussels sports!

April 14, 2021 6:13 PM MDT

Ever eat pickled beets Shuhak? If you are a pickle person you will love them. Also did you know beet greens are extraordinarily nutritious AND delicious?. Wash them thoroughly Slice em. Braise them with onions in butter. Salt and pepper to taste. OMG! Seriously. Getting to the heart of the matter I abhor "DEMAND COMMAND ORDER". EITHER OR. Ultimatums too. My way or the highway. I say go fly a kite. People HATE people for skin color or religion or politics. Does anyone hate anyone for loving beets? Are homo saps naturally warlike and will look for and find any excuse to engage in battle? I think mebbe so. But I don't know. So I sez sez I "why not ask?" Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday to thee and thine! :)
      April 15, 2021 1:38 AM MDT

Just the thought of a beet makes me cringe.  My dad loved bets.  When I was very young, he'd grow beets in the garden.  The greens were fine (I liked them but no one else did), but when it came to the red, slimey root bulbs.. gag!  Out of season we'd have canned beets (ultra yuck!).  Pickled beets were rare (maybe because of their price?), but they too were gross! 
      April 15, 2021 5:46 PM MDT

This proves how SMART you are. It is the beet greens that are LOADED with nutrition! It's funny Shuhak I don't like SLIMY. I've had fried okra to die for that magically isn't slimy but there is no slimier vegetable than okra cooked in a gumbo unless you know whatever tricks it takes to prevent it. I've never thought of beets as particularly slimy. Jim loves Balsamic vinegar so he put some of that on them. I like anything pickled. Maybe there are degrees of "slimy"? Tastebuds change as we age so maybe later on they'd taste okay. Some folks swallow oysters raw! The thought of that makes ME gag. I'm not a fan of raw animal protein anyway. Now ceviche is raw fish BUT it has a dressing of lime juice which kinda "cooks" the fish so I like that lots. Thank you for your reply m'dear and Happy Friday to thee and thine! :)
      April 16, 2021 3:27 AM MDT