Active Now

Spunky
Element 99
Shuhak
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » We live in a "retirement" community. You gotta be 55 and older. That sets the stage. We have a community social site. The newest gem?

We live in a "retirement" community. You gotta be 55 and older. That sets the stage. We have a community social site. The newest gem?

SUSPICIOUS PEOPLE

The person posting this said to BEWARE OF SUSPICIOUS PEOPLE. Two men and a woman walking down the street all of whom had tattoos on their faces. Sez she "I SAW THEM".

Here's my question. What causes you to be "suspicious" of strangers?

Tattoos
Metal face piercings other than earlobes
Clothing
Actions

Would those three have frightened you though all they were doing was taking a walk? Could have been relatives of residents for all she knew. Residents can have people stay over no matter what they look like. There is a limit...30 days I believe.

It just got me wondering about how we perceive one another. What it takes to scare folks. What is it exactly that makes "the other" look SUSPICIOUS?

Posted - April 16, 2021

Responses

I'm suspicious of people who...

...wear backpacks bigger than they are.
    ... walk around talking to themselves or urinate wherever they're at at the moment.
    ... wander about in long, heavy black coats, keep their hands in their pockets, and have their heads covered by a hood... in the middle of summer.

I never liked tattoos.  To me, those who have them look like lowlifes (don't even get me started on piercings)

However, some of my family are (were) "scary" looking people.  If I didn't know them, I'd definitely avoid them on the street.   

My brother used to look like a hells angels biker - burly (he picked up car engines), long hair and beard, wore chains and studs... and didn't take crap from anyone.
    I have a nephew who's almost covered from neck to feet with colored tattoos, has large saucers in his ear lobes, sports long dreads (not much better than the multicolor mohawk he used to have), and doesn't believe in wearing shoes - ever. 
    I have another nephew who's covered in random B/W tats (some of which are prison tats), and talks and acts like he's a tough guy. 
      April 16, 2021 12:05 PM MDT

YOU? Relatives like THAT? Oy vey! Well here's my personal take on tattoos Shuhak. I might have told you of this before now. We do chat a lot. If so, apologies. Before Jim and I met I lived in an apartment in Riverside. It was due to be painted so two guys showed up one day (I had been apprised of it of course) to start painting. The job took 3 days. The lead guy? Tattoos even on his neck and arms that were exposed. I don't know what lay hidden beneath his clothes. He was kinda fearsome looking and quite handsome. But you know what? Turns out we had a lot in common. He loved jazz. Me too. His taste in literature was similar to mine. He was probably about 40. He had a very lively intellect and by the end of the first day I didn't even notice the tats. They started on a Saturday so I was home all day. They came back on Sunday..by which time I fixed lunch for them. I don't know if Monday was a holiday because I recall fixing lunch for them two days in a row so I was home on that day too. By the end of the 3 days of painting we were "friends" and because I am a hugger I hugged him and he hugged back as friends do. That totally changed my mind about those who wear tats. Turns out he had been a Marine. So was my dad. I value that experience very much because it showed me how wrong I would have been judging him without knowing him. As far as metal piercings go I don't even approve of ear piercings. When I see little babies with pierced ears and studs in them I shudder at the physical abuse FORCED on them and I cringe for them. What else do their parents FORCE on them without their consent? Earrings used to just be clipons. Why they became torture vehicles by putting holes in ear lobes I cannot fathom.I sat behind a gal once in class whose earlobes were green with pus. I am not making that up. Her name was Janet and she was very weird. She kept fighting infections and finally when they cleared up she wore pierced ear earrings. Different strokes. Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :) This post was edited by RosieG at April 17, 2021 9:57 PM MDT
      April 17, 2021 4:24 AM MDT

I'm pretty equal-opportunity when it comes to suspicion. I'm less suspicious of people with dogs, though. I'm lucky I didn't fall victim to a pedo with puppies when I was a kid! Haha! 

Happy Saturday, Rosie!
      April 16, 2021 9:52 PM MDT

Hi sweetie! How's it going? I can understand the dog thing. It makes them seem loving. I mean anyone who ever had a pet knows how much goes into maintaining them and caring for them. You know what? Doesn't that make for a great question SA? "Are people with pets more loving and caring and much less dangerous than those who don't have them?" Gonna ask. Hope you and yours are doing fine m'dear and will continue to do so! Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday to thee and thine! Oh. Jim and I got our one-shot J&J vaccine Thursday, April 8 but who remembers? Have you been vaccinated yet? :)
      April 17, 2021 4:43 AM MDT

All is well here, thanks! 

I thought of this question this evening when I was driving behind a truck that had a bumper sticker that said "F-ck Joe and that Hoe". That's someone I would be suspicious of!
    Isn't it strange that conservative alleged Christians align themselves with the likes of the owner of that truck?! Hard to understand. 

I'm not vaccinated yet, no. There is still people in much greater need than I who are being made to wait for over a month for their first dose here, and I have some personal health concerns with it, also. Glad to hear you've gotten yours! 

April 17, 2021 9:21 PM MDT

We were holding out for the one-shot Johnson and Johnson and it dropped right into our laps so easily I'm still shocked. Fortunately we got our shots a week before the blood clot thing took over and suspended the use. The 7 (Last I heard it was 7) people who got the blood clots were women between the ages of 18-48! Child-bearing years so I think it has to do with hormones or something. Anyway I'm 83 and Jim is 85 so by any measure we are safe. I have no concern about that. It will be two weeks next Thursday. We got in under the wire. With respect to the evangelicals I think they are all phonies. They allegedly believe in GOD but obviously they don't. They can't and still worshipfully adore the monster who was the previous "president". FOOTOO (former occupant of the oval office) is offstage still wielding his evil on them. Why they pretend religiosity is beyond me. Deluded crackpots the lot of them. Thank you for your reply m'dear. Glad to know you and your family are doing well. As for that bumper sticker it is emblematic of the cretins boors and slugs who adore FOOTOO. No class at all. Just rogues and thugs and bums. Happy Sunday to thee and thine SA! :)
      April 18, 2021 2:59 AM MDT

Skin color is a big one for a lot of people, especially cops (obviously).
      April 16, 2021 10:05 PM MDT

I wonder who the first color-"sensitive" homo sap was and made that a biggie? Does it go all the way back to "Adam and Eve"? Thank you for your reply SSB and Happy Saturday to thee and thine! :)
      April 17, 2021 4:45 AM MDT

Suspicious to me? Actions.
      April 17, 2021 12:05 PM MDT

Like what?
      April 18, 2021 3:08 AM MDT

We live in a safe, quiet neighborhood. Someone cruising up and down our street more than twice, looking at houses would arouse suspicion with me.
      April 18, 2021 11:32 AM MDT

I expect you have neighbors who watch out for one another. We have the best neighbors. One to the left of us and two across the street. So far so good! Thank you for your reply E and Happy Monday to thee and thine! :)
      April 19, 2021 2:54 AM MDT