Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » Why do movie characters nearly always keep their outdoor shoes on when they lie down on a bed or recline on a couch?

Why do movie characters nearly always keep their outdoor shoes on when they lie down on a bed or recline on a couch?

Most dumb movie clichés have some kind of entertainment-based justification - the hero being shot at by multiple bad guys and the bullets all missing, the exploding car, the killer who delivers a long unnecessary monologue instead of just doing the deed - but this?

Do movie producers all have a sock phobia or something?

Posted - April 18, 2021

Responses

I have never noticed.  I will be looking for it in the next movie.
      April 18, 2021 6:51 AM MDT

I have noticed those, too. And many other things. It is one of my hobbies; even my wife is becoming good at it. I even caught a mistake on the TV show Jeopardy. 
      April 18, 2021 11:43 AM MDT

One I recall common in films and imported American TV dramas, may well now be "obsolete" as we will see:

Scene: an ordinary domestic room, possibly the lounge but more often a bedroom, occupied by only one character - usually female. There is a telephone on a table in one corner.

Action: Telephone rings. Character strides across room, picks us handset in one hand and rest of the 'phone in the other.

Starts the conversation (with suitably exaggerated facial expressions), whilst walking around the room.

Flings herself across the bed or settee and writhes about in apparent shock / horror / despair / love / anger / amusement / bafflement [delete as necessary] at what she is being told - with both hands still holding the telephone, and without once dropping either part, or tripping over the absurdly long lead, tangling it round the furniture or dog's neck, or pulling it from its socket. 

Nor - you remind us -  taking her shoes off.

April 19, 2021 4:01 PM MDT

So cliche'.
      April 21, 2021 10:27 AM MDT

• Perhaps making the actors or actresses take off their shoes would waste time without adding to the plot.  I think the only time I've seen actors or actresses take off their shoes in a house is before they step into water on the floor.
      April 21, 2021 12:01 AM MDT