Active Now

Spunky
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Can you "average out" anything? Providing that you start at the extremes will you always end up in the middle? Exceptions?

Can you "average out" anything? Providing that you start at the extremes will you always end up in the middle? Exceptions?

Posted - April 18, 2021

Responses

No you won't necessarily finish in the middle.

I am not a statistician and I am not sure of the difference between "average" and "mean", but if you are not careful you end up skewed towards one or the other, usually the greater, extreme.

That happens in numbers, but I think the similar effect can occur in social matters too.
      April 19, 2021 3:15 AM MDT

Really Durdle? So you can never be certain that you will always "strike a happy medium"? Sorry. Couldn't resist. So how do you find the middle then? If it's linear then it's easy isn't it? Measure it. Elsewise otherwise? With liquids you make an emulsion? With people there is a learning curve that I guess is measureable. Beginning at knowing nothing about a job to knowing all you need to know to do the job. That depends on the ability to learn more than anything else. Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday to thee and thine m'dear! :) This post was edited by RosieG at April 19, 2021 3:19 AM MDT
      April 19, 2021 3:18 AM MDT