Active Now

Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » Experiencing Loud Clicking Noise With Their NEW DELL XPS 8940 SE, Anybody else have or had this issue and can you help?

Experiencing Loud Clicking Noise With Their NEW DELL XPS 8940 SE, Anybody else have or had this issue and can you help?

I got my new XPS 8940 SE desktop in March.  It is making a LOUD clickity-click, clickity-click, clickity-click noise NONSTOP and it's driving me/us nuts.  The noise runs continuously even when the computer is not in use.  It is loud enough that you can hear it across the room, large room.

Dell sent out someone to replace the fans, thinking that was the problem and it wasn't .  Then they sent someone out to replace my Seagate Baraccuda 2TB SATA HDD, with another Seagate Baraccuda... and the noise persists.  One of the Technicians that came to my home said that noise is not normal nor good and the second tech said it is normal, plus I've received conflicting info from Dell Techs at Dell. 

I am now waiting on a 3rd, new and different maker HDD to see if that eliminates the unusual, loud noise.  If the noise persists after this HDD switch I'm going to have to send the computer in to be looked at.  I don't know what they will do differently then what has already been done (because all the various scans, updates... have been done and they pass).  I'm guessing they will just completely switch out my computer.  I reformatted it both quick and full, the clicking stopped for a couple of days and then started right back up.

I have read numerous posts from people, on different sites, complaining of the same issue so I know I'm not alone.  I haven't quite had this new computer a month yet and it truly has not been a good experience so far.

I'm posting this on here to see if anybody else is or has been experiencing these issues and to find out what, if anything resolved your noise issue?  

Posted - April 21, 2021

Responses

No. But I dropped a CCTV DVR and ruined the hard drive.  It made a "ping pong ball" dropping sound. 

Could be hard drive, could be a bad cable. 

Just make sure you make them honor the warranty.  Whatever is the cause it is not functioning properly. 

And welcome to the Mug. :) This post was edited by my2cents at April 22, 2021 1:24 PM MDT
      April 21, 2021 5:36 PM MDT