Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » I learned from a Mugger friend that Sumo Wrestlers have a lifespan of about ten years less than other professions. Would you become one?

I learned from a Mugger friend that Sumo Wrestlers have a lifespan of about ten years less than other professions. Would you become one?

Does it pay exceedingly well? Is it prestigious? Why would anyone give up ten years of life to become anything? I don't get it.

Posted - April 25, 2021

Responses

I doubt they take it up for a potentially shorter life!

Money and prestige maybe.

I don't think it's the wrestling that their problem. I have seen only photographs of Sumo wrestlers, but they all look morbidly obese rather  being huge by muscle bulk, and if so it's more likely that which is shortening their lives.
      April 27, 2021 2:21 AM MDT

I've never seen one that is physically proportional. I mean you see muscle builders who are all bulked up but that is muscle. I don't know which comes first though. Do those who are obese go into the field or does someone bulk up to that size specifically to go into it? Egg or chicken? I don't know. I can't imagine anyone WILLINGLY and PURPOSEFULLY wanting a career as a Sumo Wrestler. Maybe it's a default career? Different strokes. Thank you for your reply Durdle! :)
      April 27, 2021 2:29 AM MDT