Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Why are sons more often of more value than daughters? Is it because sons carry on the family name and daughters most often don't?

Why are sons more often of more value than daughters? Is it because sons carry on the family name and daughters most often don't?

My mom was the first born and then had two younger brothers. They were prized. She was tolerated. Her parents were from the OLD COUNTRY and I expect that view was standard normal typical. Methinks it may still be.

The bias against women is legendary.
The bias against people of color we see daily.
The bias against independent thinkers is obvious. They get poisoned imprisoned slaughtered.

When and where are those with that bias going to be BIASED AGAINST? Where is fair? Where is balance? Where is reciprocity?

Posted - April 26, 2021

Responses

Unfortunately, that's true.  Many societies believe that a woman's job is only to bear children (preferably males).   Disgusting! 
      April 26, 2021 6:31 PM MDT

It has always been that way m'dear and always will. I may have told you this before and if so apologies for being repetitive. When I was young...maybe ten or so...I overhead a conversation my dad had with someone who said "Don't you wish you had a son instead of two daughters?" I know. Who SAYS that out loud? Anyway my dad said "I wouldn't trade my two girls for anything."  I will always remember that. My mom had two younger brothers and she was not the favorite. In some culturs I have read that girls are killed though that may not be true at all. I don't recall being penalized for being a female but I am notoriously unobservant about some things. I have blind spots. So maybe I was and just didn't notice. Thank you for your reply Shuhak! I always wanted to have an older brother. I think my whole life I've been searching for one. Silly isn't it? :)
      April 27, 2021 2:47 AM MDT