Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » FDR was a spoiler. Because the people kept re-election him Congress passed a law limiting a prez to two terms. Good or bad?

FDR was a spoiler. Because the people kept re-election him Congress passed a law limiting a prez to two terms. Good or bad?

I think that's bad. If you get a REALLY GREAT president why must you give him/her up?

What caused that? Jealousy obviously. Why else cut off a good thing?

Posted - May 1, 2021

Responses

I understand the reason for term limits, which is to keep dinosaurs out of office, but term limits can sometimes backfire.  I never had to think about my state’s previous governor, who just did his job.  My state has one-party rule, and the problem with one-party rule states is that the legislature starts passing a lot of stuff that makes the extreme left or extreme right happy, but either just upsets regular people or makes them just roll their eyes.

The last governor, who was term-limited out of office, vetoed all of the nutty stuff.  Our current governor signs all of it, unless corporations threaten a boycott of the state, which is a different problem altogether.  I don’t believe corporations are people so I don’t think they should have that much power.

If the Democrats were smart enough, which they’re not, they could pull off an upset in the next election for governor.

This post was edited by Livvie at May 2, 2021 12:44 AM MDT
      May 2, 2021 12:26 AM MDT

Gee Liv. "If the Democrats were smart enough" would have been enough. But you added "which they're not". Which saddens me unless you refer specifically to your Democrats in your state. Moving along. Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday to thee and thine. Humans are imperfect. Lying is probably the biggest defect they share. Some people try and fail. At least they tried. Life. This post was edited by RosieG at May 2, 2021 2:50 AM MDT
      May 2, 2021 1:32 AM MDT

I was specifically referring to the Democratic Party in my own state.  Most politics is local to me.  In my own house, local and state politics get discussed all the time, while Trump or Biden hardly ever get mentioned.  The national Democratic and national Republican parties are completely different animals than the state and local parties.

A Democrat in a one-party rule Republican state would have to win the same way a Republican in a one-party rule Democratic state would win, which is forget about the far left or far right stuff that makes them unpopular in their home state and go after their current governors on the things their incumbent governors are doing wrong.

I don’t like either party, they both trigger my gag reflex, but I agree with one half of the time and the other the other half of the time, so I think I can be a pretty neutral observer on this and have an idea on what each party needs to do to win.  

My state has had a Republican governor since January 1979.  Our current governor would be the easiest one for the Democrats to unseat because while she’s popular with national Republicans, her in-state approval numbers are razor thin enough for Democrats to have an upset victory if they play it right.  They came close.  The biggest thing that sunk her opponent in the last election was accepting money from Planned Parenthood.  Democrat’s positions on abortion aren’t going to win here, so they need to keep that in mind.

What will win is attacking the governor for undermining the will of the voters on ballot amendments and initiatives.  Marijuana and hemp were the biggest winners in the last election.  They’re even more popular than politicians.  Recreational marijuana passed with 54% of the vote, which is higher than the governor’s margin of victory of 51% in the last governor’s election.  Medical marijuana passed with 70% of the vote.  The governor had recreational marijuana challenged in court and won on a technicality.  The attorney general wasn’t going to defend it because of his own legal problems.  The governor promises to veto medical marijuana no matter what.

So, if the state level Democrats want to win this time, there’s their issue!  Make friends with pot!  Also, the governor’s really running for national office.  The best time to pick off an incumbent governor is when they’re trying to appeal to a national base and not their own state’s interests.

This post was edited by Livvie at May 2, 2021 4:09 AM MDT
      May 2, 2021 3:41 AM MDT

Thank you for the treasure trove of info with regard to your state's politics. So marijuana and hemp are more popular than politicians in your state? Does hemp get you high like marijuana supposedly does? A "high" electorate may not make wise choices. Which leads to an obvious question which of course I shall ask as soon as I post this.  I have heard that "all politics is local". True however there are RED states and BLUE states for a reason. They have very dissimilar MO's. Very dissimilar values. Very dissimilar homo saps. Very dissimilar heroes and villains. Opposite ends. Anyway thanks bunches for educating me about your neck of the woods Liv. It's appreciated! :)
      May 2, 2021 4:11 AM MDT