Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » Why do they ruin rhubarb pie by adding strawberry?

Why do they ruin rhubarb pie by adding strawberry?

Again - - another of my preferences ("rhubarb-alone" pie) is very difficult to find - - but strawberry rhubarb? It's everywhere.  :)

Rhubarb Pie   (in case you've never seen it before, ha)

Rhubarb Pie Recipe | Kitchn

Posted - May 2, 2021

Responses

I don't even know what rhubarb looks like.  I wouldn't know it if I saw it in the market.  But, I did see English people in a film set in the 50s eating stick of it dipped in sugar (I think it was sugar).   That sounds much easier than making it into a pie.  

May 3, 2021 2:35 PM MDT

I love your answer, thanks!
    I have to leave at the moment but I plan to come back to add more!

But I grew up eating raw rhubarb, picking it straight out from our neighbors' garden (with their permission).
    :)

And I admit -- regardless of my tongue-in-cheek question, I love rhubarb pie so much that I do like strawberry rhubarb pie, too, ha.

Maybe that's everything I was going to say, I guess, at the moment, at least.
      May 3, 2021 3:18 PM MDT

You ate raw rhubarb? It's so bitter/sour! 

My mom used to make rhubarb cobbler. No strawberries! I liked the cobbler, but I remember tasting it raw and it was terribly tart. I can remember the taste exactly! 

I like strawberry rhubarb, too. I do not like strawberry alone because I don't like that fake glazed stuff. 

I'm getting hungry now. I better just go to bed. 
    Goodnight, friend. :)
      May 3, 2021 8:58 PM MDT

I only now saw your reply here, a day later. :) And tonight, I'm about ready to go to bed.  :)

Yes, I know --  raw rhubarb!! You can picture this slightly-built very, very blond little boy in the neighbors' backyard small garden -- loving those little moments of eating such bitterness.  :) 

As an adult, I now think of how nice those neighbors were to allow me to eat their rhubarb. Even very young, I remember asking their permission if could eat more of it when they once offered me some of the raw rhubarb and I LOVED it at first bite.
    I tell you -- I'm one in a million, ha.

SO tart but I loved it, ha! And in pie form it's so perfect to me. Adding sweetness to its tartness but the rhubarb's tartness still remains - - so great. It remains my hugely favorite kind of pie.

Yeah, I don't like strawberry-alone pie at all.
      May 4, 2021 7:05 PM MDT

That sounds good -- eating rhubarb after dipping it in some sugar.
      May 4, 2021 7:06 PM MDT

I see how you all are . . . I see no one but Thriftymaid and SavvyAnsley and I even wonder, or care, that rhubarb pie is so often ruined.  Oh, well . . . 

;)

(I just ate a piece of strawberry-rhubarb pie since it was the only kind of rhubarb pie in a tri-state area.)

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at June 13, 2021 8:19 PM MDT
      June 13, 2021 8:19 PM MDT