Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Would knowing the outcome of everything in advance make life boring? There would be no excitement or surprise would there?

Would knowing the outcome of everything in advance make life boring? There would be no excitement or surprise would there?

Dependable. Predictable. A "SURE THING".  Imagine living a life with no surprises forever after? Your cuppa tea?

Posted - May 6, 2021

Responses

Suppose I knew that if I went to work today I would get run over by a truck so I took an action to prevent that from happening by staying home. The action I took would simply decohere and I would still get run over by the truck. 

Fact: even if one could foresee a future event happening it would not be  possible to cause a change; same as one could not go back in time to change a past event.

I don't think I would want to know the outcome of everything in advance!
      May 6, 2021 1:22 PM MDT

I looked up "decohere" and there is no such word in my dictionary Kg. Of course it isn't a new one. It's at least 25 years old. Is that a word or did you intend something else? Did you mean delay or defer and it would not happen that day but it would happen another day?

Now I confess I am confused by your contention that even if you could see into the future you could not change it. I look into the future and date a guy who murders me. Are you saying the future is already solid and nothing I do could possibly change it? WHAT IF Truman foresaw the damage that occurred at Hiroshima and Nagasaki and decided to NOT drop those bombs? What then? I am not trying to be difficult. I just don't understand where you are coming from. Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday to thee and thine! :) This post was edited by RosieG at May 7, 2021 9:51 AM MDT
      May 7, 2021 5:23 AM MDT

I borrowed the term decohere from the dimensions of  quantum mechanics where 2 different events could occur simultaneously wherein classical mechanics 1 of those events must decohere; eg.. Schrodinger's cat cannot be dead and alive at the same time. Decohere sort of means to 'evaporate' and disappear into non-existence.

Future events are  already inscribed in the dimension of time and the physical happenings will follow up in due course. Some people's minds have the ability to receive visions of future events; prophetic visions.

If Truman had used his imagination to try get images of the destruction the bomb could cause that would not be like a prophetic vision enscribed in time then he would have been able to change his mind.
    But a prophetic vision would indicate an event enscribed in the dimension of time and there could not be any change made to cause a different outcome. This post was edited by Kittigate at June 15, 2021 4:12 AM MDT
      May 7, 2021 9:50 AM MDT

"Future events are already inscribed in the dimension of time". Which means in effect they have already happened right? We just haven't gotten to them yet. Past now future. All the same. The human mind has to break it out I think because otherwise it's just too big. Thank you for your reply Kg! :)
      June 15, 2021 4:13 AM MDT