Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Allegedly the owners of the Colonial Pipeline paid $5 million to the ransomers. Cost of doing business. Allegedly. Didja know?

Allegedly the owners of the Colonial Pipeline paid $5 million to the ransomers. Cost of doing business. Allegedly. Didja know?

It has been and is going on everywhere all the time and the extortionists get paid for their efforts.

Another way to go through life.

Posted - May 14, 2021

Responses

Talk about timing.  One of the webcomics I follow just had a strip about this sort of thing:

Considering the hourly rates of lawyers, and the time involved to fight allegations ... it is often less expensive to just pay a settlement, rather than go to court.  Of course, the settlement also usually involves a "non disclosure" clause - so the company can sue the individual if the person talks about the suit/allegation.  Which then puts the financial burden on the individual, because the winner of that suit would likely be the company and the loser has to pay BOTH lawyers.
      May 14, 2021 12:26 PM MDT

Wow! Talk about excellent timing. There must be a word for folks who go through life threatening others and making a great living at it. It reminds me of this gal who was in a wheelchair. She was always suing the company I worked for. The couple owned 7 McDonald's Restaurants. And remember where there was law covering people with disabilities? Restaurants had to have ramps so people in wheelchairs could access the inside? There were all kinds of stipulations in the Americans with Disabilities Act and she was ALWAYS suing us for some supposed infraction at one or the other of the restaurants. I don't know if she did the same thing to other companies but she was a royal pain in the a** and I think her name was Ruth...Ruthie. Something like that. How many Ruthie's are there out there who are parasites? They find a host and just keep nibbling away. Nuisance lawsuits by the dozens. I guess it's a life. I wonder at what point in one's life one decides how to spend it? Thank you for your reply and the cartoon. Maybe at the end of their lives they count the number of lawsuits they won and die smiling? :)
      May 15, 2021 2:05 AM MDT