Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » "There is RIGHT. There is WRONG. There is nothing in the middle." Agree/dis?

"There is RIGHT. There is WRONG. There is nothing in the middle." Agree/dis?

Posted - May 17, 2021

Responses

Disagree.

Right and Wrong are generally artificial constructs of society, which may change over time.

EG: Slavery
    We believe slavery is wrong, now.
    But for thousands of years, it was acceptable.  Even the Bible endorses slavery.  (And since the Bible is "The Word of God", God must endorse slavery.  Therefore, modern thinking of slavery is counter to God, and wrong.)

Even when society agrees that something is currently Wrong - there are often shades of grey.
    EG: Killing another human.  That's Wrong.
    Well, except if you are defending yourself.  Or it was an accident.  And let's not even get started on whether or not abortion counts.
      May 17, 2021 8:47 AM MDT

Strip away what society "thinks: Walt. Look at it very clinically. OWNING OTHER HUMAN BEINGS? This is something you believe you could defend/justify/rationalize and make a good? OF COURSE NOT.

Humans don't OWN other humans. It is inhumane and cruel. So I don't buy that. As society goes so goes right and wrong? SERIOUSLY?

Lynching. It used be public entertainment. When a lynching was planned townspeople were informed so they could come and watch. They obviously thought that it was the right thing to do at the time.

NOT if you were a thoughtful caring human being. Your justification is the same as "everyone does it" ergo whatever everyone does is right. No Walt. Sorry. It won't fly. Good try but well my brain gets blocked and locked to things I think are illogical. Thank you for your reply. This post was edited by RosieG at May 17, 2021 12:13 PM MDT
      May 17, 2021 12:12 PM MDT