Active Now

Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » I know it's unfair. Some folks can eat anything they want and never gain a pound. Others look at food photos and blow right up. Really?

I know it's unfair. Some folks can eat anything they want and never gain a pound. Others look at food photos and blow right up. Really?

No of course not REALLY! It just seems that way.

Can you change your metabolism significantly for good?

Posted - May 24, 2021

Responses

I have a cousin who weighs more than 440 pounds.  That’s up 90 pounds from just a couple of years ago.  He was always a fat kid, but I think his parents made it a lot worse for him by making separate meals for him, not letting him attend pizza parties and sending him to fat camp every summer.  I know he would definitely think it’s unfair that everybody else can seem to eat whatever they want and not gain weight.  At least that’s what it looks like to him.

I wonder what causes that.  His sister and his parents always had normal weight.  Before his parents tried to make him diet, he ate the same food and the same amount of food as them.

He’s completely given up.  Now he just eats until he’s full, which is an enormous amount of food.  He was already in the hospital from a heart attack at the age of 31, and as soon as he was released he went straight to Taco Bell and pretty much ordered the whole menu.

Anyway, I don’t know how you fix that.  We thought about an intervention, but decided there was nothing we could say that would be helpful.
      May 25, 2021 12:29 AM MDT

Did he ever see a mental health expert? A psychologist or psychiatrist that might have been able to help him get to the bottom of it? I have a theory why women become obese but I have no scientific proof. I think if they were ever raped or otherwise sexually abused they might want to make themselves as unattractive as possible to prevent that ever happening again. There was a radio talk show guy I met once. I took some cookies in one morning to the station on my way to work. I listened to that show every morning and I really liked the two who were on mike so I wanted to thank them/ I was just going to leave cookies with a receptionist or something but the guy who I saw first asked if I'd like to meet the two guys. They had commercial breaks so I could pop in say hello during one of them. So I did. And the weather guy was a regular size. But the main man? Probably 600 lbs or more. I'm not kidding. I was so stunned but I tried hard not to look what I was feeling. I mean lots of folks gain weight...10 or 20 lbs. But hundreds of pounds? Something is broken that needs fixing it seems to me. I am so sorry about your cousin. Wanting to live must not be a strong desire for those who are hundreds of pounds overweight. I saw a program once about a girl who had to be restrained all the time and the fridge locked up. She had a condition that caused her to be ravenous. Whatever that mechanism is that tells us we are full in her wasn't working. She'd scream and cry for food all the time. Some of us just have such a dark path we follow in life. Exactly why I wish I knew. Thank you for sharing that with us Liv. There are so many ways we can harm ourselves and do. Sadly true. Happy Tuesday to you and your family m'dear! :) This post was edited by RosieG at May 25, 2021 1:29 AM MDT
      May 25, 2021 1:25 AM MDT