Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Lying is perfectly A-OK unless you are in a court of law and under oath. Then you can be in a world of hurt. Otherwise?

Lying is perfectly A-OK unless you are in a court of law and under oath. Then you can be in a world of hurt. Otherwise?

You can lie about as you are lying about anyone or anything and you too can become a VERY SUCCESSFUL POWERFUL WEALTHY Sap! Imagine that?

What a country!

Posted - May 25, 2021

Responses

Lying in court is perfectly acceptable theses days as well.  people do it all the time -

Judge: "On the count of murder, how do you plead?"

Defendant (hiding his blood stained hands in his pockets): "not guilty".

May 25, 2021 9:04 AM MDT

I know it is in fashion. I'm never in fashion and I bet you aren't too neither are you? In fact the better a liar you are the more likely you are to succeed in life? Admirers admire the he** outta superb LIARS. There is no why. There just is is. Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      May 26, 2021 5:39 AM MDT

Of course, only the ignorant lie in court - when they can simply "Plead the Fifth" and refuse to answer the question.

Even better if one is on trial - refuse to take the stand at all.

Which brings up an interesting point I was pondering the other day ... during the "swearing in" for a witness, what if the witness does NOT agree to "tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth".  Why would a witness not agree to that?  Maybe because the witness is aware that they do not know "the whole truth".  Or that telling "nothing but the truth" may not take into account events that led up to whatever they are testifying about.  Or that eyewitness accounts are notoriously unreliable, without separate corroboration.

Then I got to thinking ... if you can't be forced to testify against yourself, that should also mean the court can't force you to enter a plea.  One should be able to "Plead the Fifth" when the court asks how you plead - to avoid incriminating yourself OR lying to the court.

May 25, 2021 12:56 PM MDT

Doesn't that automatically admit GUILT Walt? If you have nothing to hide there is no reason to refuse to testify. You tell the truth as best you can remember it. some people are more observant and better at recalling detail. I'm not one of them sad to say. I would be afraid NOT to testify. Might as well say "guilty as charged" and leave it at that. Truth isn't relative to me. If A murders B...say B is running away and is unarmed and A shoots him in the back 14 times. There are no extenuating circumstances to make that OK. Say I observe it. What do I say? "A chased B who was running away and kept shooting. I lost count but it was a lot of shots." What's the diff between "taking the 5th" and saying "guilty as charged"? On the other hand I've never been a witness to anything that required my being in court and testifying. i would be afraid to lie. I would be afraid to refuse to testify. Would you too Walt? Thank you for your reply and sharing what you were thinking about. You go off on thought riffs the same as I do. Takes us to surprising places sometimes! Happy Wednesday to thee and thine! :) This post was edited by RosieG at May 26, 2021 2:27 AM MDT
      May 26, 2021 2:26 AM MDT