Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Golf is alleged to be a sport that GENTLE men and GENTLE ladies play. That may be true but the spectators are not. What happened?

Golf is alleged to be a sport that GENTLE men and GENTLE ladies play. That may be true but the spectators are not. What happened?

On the 18th hole where Phil Mickelson and Brooks Koepka were playing the final round GUESS WHAT HAPPENED?

There was a massive enormous CROWD SURGE that engulfed them and made playing impossible.

A horde a drove of monstrous "fans" whose only thought was to get next to the players.

Koepke had a bad knee and it was "dinged" a few times.

No gentle men or gentle ladies among the so-called fanatic fans.

So the PGA apiologized for its lack of control of nutjob crackpot crowd. A first ever? I don't know but it was the worst ever.

So where did ths ATTACK occur?

The Kiawah Island Course in South Carolina.

WHO LET THE DOGS OUT? If you saw it on TV you'll be appalled whether or not you are a fan of golf.

More to come in other sports? Why not? What could it hurt? Everyone says so.

Posted - May 25, 2021

Responses

That is appallingly unsporting behaviour by the "fans" and I have every sympathy for the players and match officials - and I am not even particularly interested in competition sports.

How was the match decided? On the scores up the 17th hole? Or did the organisers manage to get the spectators back out of the way and allow the players to re-take the 18th? I'd forgive the players if the disturbance had literally put them off their stroke.
      May 26, 2021 3:33 PM MDT

I don't know the answers to your question m'dear but watching the fans swarm like locusts was the the most horrifying thing I've ever seen happen on a golf course. It was like a bunch of 1940's hormonal bobbysoxers swooning and swarming Frank Sinatra. No adults there anywhere. Just a bunch of giddy teens. Every participant should be embarrassed and ashamed but they are most likely all dolts. Thank you for your reply Durdle. What is the world coming to when this is what we see ON A GOLF COURSE for heaven's sake? :( This post was edited by RosieG at May 27, 2021 2:49 AM MDT
      May 27, 2021 2:48 AM MDT