Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Is a MALE witch as MANLY as a WARLOCK? Ever hear of a WARLOCK HUNT?

Is a MALE witch as MANLY as a WARLOCK? Ever hear of a WARLOCK HUNT?

Posted - May 26, 2021

Responses

A "witch" may be male or female.

The originating term for "warlock" meant "oathbreaker" or "deceiver", and referred specifically to the devil.  

It was the Scots who associated the term with male witches, as they allegedly made pacts with the devil and "had betrayed the Christian faith and broke their baptismal vows or oaths".

During the witch trials in Scotland, some men were executed as warlocks.
      May 26, 2021 11:21 AM MDT

Well trump is always whinya**ing about a "WITCH HUNT". I think he is a girly man and relates to dames more than he does guys. Soft. Sensitive. Nothing manly about him.

I know a witch can be male or female. I also know of WARLOCKS. Now which would you tell others you are Walt? A witch or a WARLOCK? I rest my case. I think trump sees himself in feminine terms not manly or male. Why I don't know. Thank you for your reply! :)
      May 26, 2021 11:29 AM MDT

Personally, I prefer the terms as used in RPGs.
    A Wizard has to study to learn magic.
    A Sorcerer is born with natural talent to use magic.
    A Warlock made a pact with some entity, basically trading their soul for the ability to use magic.

Now I'm wondering ... in RPGs if a Cleric isn't really a Warlock?
    They both trade their souls to practice magic. 
    The only difference being the source of magic (arcane vs divine) and who they trade their souls to (deity vs devil).

Anyway, using RPG terms, I would refer to myself as a wizard (since I have no natural talent and would have to study).

May 26, 2021 1:19 PM MDT

I have a problem with the classifications Walt. Gut reactions. People are called "WIZARDS" all the time and it's always positive good complimentary.  A sorcerer on the other hand? Sorcery has a very negative connotation attached to it. "That old BLACK MAGIC has me in its spell". No good ever comes from sorcery. I don't qualify to be a warlock.  I may have a touch of witch in me by birth. Born almost on Halloween you see and so who knows? The GOOD WITCH in The Wizard of Oz is what I would aspire to be if I were involved in witchery. That bad witch with the hooked nose and warts? Not my cuppa tea. I know there are witches who hold meetings and I expect witch away the day. I also know that if you believe it's real you make it real for you. I'm not into seances or things that go bump in the night. Sure they might exist but if so I don't want to know or have anything to do with them. No visitations for me. Not made of the right stuff to deal with that particularity. Thank you for your reply Walt! :) Oh. What's RPG's? This post was edited by RosieG at May 26, 2021 1:34 PM MDT
      May 26, 2021 1:33 PM MDT