Active Now

DannyPetti
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » "When you go to war you are asked to do unspeakable things." Why does government have the right to do that to its citizens?

"When you go to war you are asked to do unspeakable things." Why does government have the right to do that to its citizens?

Posted - May 27, 2021

Responses

Today's military is all voluntary - no more draft.  I'm not trying to trivialize what men and women see in war, just that they have a choice between choosing a career that may put them in those kinds of situations or choosing a different career.  There is no way to tell who will be adversely affected in a war situation.  What your country doesn't have a right to do is get us into endless, unwinnable wars.  We are 20 years in Afghanistan.  We will be leaving there with virtually nothing having been accomplished.  They had nothing to do with 9/11.  If we couldn't train their army to protect their own citizens in 20 years, there is not only something wrong with them, there is something wrong with us.
      May 27, 2021 8:11 AM MDT

Good point L. That's absotively right. They VOLUNTEER. But that doesn't lessen the facts that war is he** and they don't leave it on the battlefield. Watching pals get blown up must be something one never forgets. Blowing people up likewise must stay with them. Whether they volunteered or were drafted they do the same thing and suffer the same things. I have no idea how to solve that problem. Thank you for your reply. Hearing that from a Vet was important and that's why I needed to share it. If he feels that way there must be others who do too. However it is they feel they have earned the right to let us know if only we care enough to LISTEN. This post was edited by RosieG at May 27, 2021 8:50 AM MDT
      May 27, 2021 8:46 AM MDT

No, it doesn't lessen the fact that things they could never imagine happen on the battlefield, especially when that battlefield in the middle of civilians.  I don't know how to solve that problem either - perhaps there is no solution.  When we thank them, we are not applauding their killing of others  We are thanking them for being willing to voluntarily protect this country.  Was the Vet who told you that someone who served or is serving now or was it a Vietnam era vet?  They really got the shaft.  Yes, we can listen and we can also make sure that the needs of those vets are met whether it's counseling, medical care, mental health care, housing or anything else.  Many vets don't feel comfortable speaking about their feelings with civilians because they don't feel we could possibly understand what they went through unless we were in similar situations.  They're probably right.  
      May 27, 2021 8:55 AM MDT

It was a quote I read on the internet by a vet whose name I do not know. It was the surprise at learning that which caused me to share it. I expect all aspects of being on  battle are desperately disgusting and despicable from the point of view of those who do the fighting maiming crippling and dying.  Something worth noting. Some vets never ever mention a word about their experiences. Ever. Which means they must be devastated by what they experienced. It changes them forever I'm sure. And not in a good way from their viewpoint. Thank you for your reply L and Happy Saturday to you! :)
      May 29, 2021 4:12 AM MDT

I believe I read that sentiment, too and I understand how someone might feel that way.  I know several people who have served and none of them have ever spoken about their experiences, even when they weren't in war zones.  The older generation had no choice - they were drafted, and the younger ones enlisted voluntarily.  Either way, there must be a reason why they keep those memories to themselves.  It would be a hard-hearted person not to be changed by being in a war.  This holiday weekend is pretty much going to be a washout.  It's been raining since last evening, rain tomorrow and probably Monday and the temp right now is 48 degrees!  Happy Saturday.  
      May 29, 2021 7:40 AM MDT

Oh. Bummer honey. Sorry about that. Jim is currently on the Golf course in our little retirement community. They are having a SCRAMBLE and after that a Memorial Day lunch. They do it every year except last year of coures! Our weather right now is cool which is good for golf. The high is projected to be 83 and that usually comes about around 3pm! Thank you for your reply. Between thee and me know what is worrying me? If after this holiday we will have more surges because of lax behavior on the part of the unvaccinated. Are you worried too? I know worry is the interest you pay on trouble. Even so I don't trust the unvaccinated to use their heads or take precautions. Do you? This post was edited by RosieG at May 29, 2021 11:06 AM MDT
      May 29, 2021 10:34 AM MDT

Well, I'm happy that Jim will have nice weather for golf.  Hard to believe that one week ago, it was 93!  I guess it remains to be seen whether there will be another surge.  We'll know in two weeks or so.  'm hoping that with all the pop-up vaccination spots and the incentives being offered to get the shots, many more folks will be vaccinated which is a good thing.  I can't worry about it because there's nothing I can do other then to keep masked in public, which I do, and do all the other things we were doing before.  Fingers crossed.  New York State's case rate is about half a percent, so maybe it won't be a problem here. This post was edited by SpunkySenior at May 30, 2021 2:29 AM MDT
      May 29, 2021 11:09 AM MDT

Fingers crossed here too honey. We too will keep doing what we've been doing. Masking till June 15 is what our guv has said so far. But we will mask after that too. I think the blue states are in better shape viruswise than red states for obvious reasons. Of course there are pockets of red in the blue states too and I don't trust any red at all ever for doing "the right thing". So we just go on as usual. Thank you for your reply L! :) This post was edited by RosieG at May 30, 2021 6:51 AM MDT
      May 30, 2021 2:31 AM MDT

We do what we have to do to make us feel comfortable.  Happy Sunday. :)
      May 30, 2021 6:51 AM MDT

Exactamundo. Only with us it doesn't involve harming others. With them? That's the point. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      May 30, 2021 7:04 AM MDT

If they thought about others, they wouldn't fight wearing masks and/or being vaccinated. :) This post was edited by SpunkySenior at June 3, 2021 3:36 AM MDT
      May 30, 2021 8:07 AM MDT

Very true. I wonder what histories they have that brought them to this disastrous state of affairs? It must have been grim ugly and very scary. Thank you for your reply L and Happy Thursday! :)
      June 3, 2021 3:36 AM MDT

Heaven only knows.  Happy Thursday. :)
      June 3, 2021 7:53 AM MDT

Thanks sweetie! :)
      June 3, 2021 9:21 AM MDT