Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Once upon a "before your time" in the long ago people lived by the honor code. Whether watched or not they did THE RIGHT THING. AMAZING?

Once upon a "before your time" in the long ago people lived by the honor code. Whether watched or not they did THE RIGHT THING. AMAZING?

When did the Honor Code get laughed out of existence? I know the why. When was the "when"?

Posted - May 27, 2021

Responses

How can anyone believe that 'long ago' people acted honourably? Actually I wasn't there so I couldn't tell you otherwise.
      May 27, 2021 3:28 PM MDT

I was. We'd go for drives and you'd see UNATTENDED stands with produce for sale. A simple cigar box for the money you'd put in. A stack of bags to use. Oranges which would cost by the each at a certain price for example. We'd stop. My dad and mom would get out. Select what they wanted, put the money in the money place and get back in the car with what they bought. I am not making this up. I LIVED IT. Schools known for the HONOR CODE weren't in the news with cheating scandals. Maybe there were some who cheated but it wasn't ON THE SCALE OF CHEATING IT IS TODAY. Today CHEATING is admired as is LYING. We elect presidents who do it well. But talking about what used to be is pointless. So I shall stop. Thank you for your question. I told you how anyone can believe that long ago people acted honorably. I LIVED IT. Whatever you think is your right. What I lived and share is MY RIGHT> Are we even yet? Thank you and Happy Friday to you!
      May 28, 2021 2:30 AM MDT

We have a farm stand that still does that. Their corn isn't very good, though.
      May 28, 2021 1:00 PM MDT

ARE YOU SERIOUS? STILL DOES THAT? Oh my gosh! That is unbelievable!. They still have faith in the goodness of their neighbors. If I weren't already sitting down I'd have been knocked down. That is a very tiny small light in the darkness E. Thank you for sharing that with us. Honestly I would have bet against it. I wonder if folks in the heartland are more honest and honorable than folks on both coasts or the south? I shall ask. That just tickles me. Bet they're great good people! :)
      May 29, 2021 2:36 AM MDT

We have many farms surrounding Toledo, and some are actually in the city, but I only know of that one who does it.
      May 29, 2021 8:46 AM MDT

Lucky you! When we lived in East Acton, Massachusetts there were tons of roadside stands. Apples, pressed cider, cheddar cheese, produce. Believe it or not there was even a FUDGE man roadside stand! I kid you not! All kinds of fudge.Geez it's been DECADES  since I've had fudge. It was awesome good but none of them were ever unattended. i miss those stands. Thank you for your reply E! :)
      May 29, 2021 10:10 AM MDT