Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » First self driving "Big Rig" truck makes delivery. Humans are no longer needed (except for the smart engineers)?

First self driving "Big Rig" truck makes delivery. Humans are no longer needed (except for the smart engineers)?

Maybe they can just send cheap junk back and forth to each other. The rest of us can beg on the street as robot cars and drones pass us by. That is until they make robot homeless people. "We need automated homeless people. These real ones are just too expensive."

Posted - October 26, 2016

Responses

What happened to those drones?
      October 26, 2016 9:25 AM MDT

• They're invisible now.
      October 26, 2016 9:34 AM MDT

• Ok, but do these self-driving big rigs know when a child in the car in front of it is giving the "blow your horn" signal?

Didn't think so.
      October 26, 2016 9:26 AM MDT

•   October 26, 2016 9:33 AM MDT

Does this mean they will always stay in one lane and you can pass them without the fear of getting killed?
      October 26, 2016 9:48 AM MDT

• Doubtful. It means they don't care about anything since they can't die. So you're still going to have to be fearful. Remember, the people programming these things NEVER make mistakes (you know like, bugs, updates, fixes, patches, security threats, etc.).
      October 26, 2016 9:55 AM MDT

You are so right Mr. Bromide.  Just what I need...more to fear on the road.
      October 26, 2016 9:57 AM MDT

And electronic components never fail either. Right . . . 
      October 26, 2016 9:57 AM MDT

*facepalm

I know.
      October 26, 2016 10:01 AM MDT

The delivery was for In-Bush, or Anheiser-bev; whichever. I just hope for their sake they're working on robotic vehicles that consume their products and have the money to buy those products when they're off duty.

I've always believed that automation was a good thing when it came to making the workplace safer and less monotonous. When it's used to eliminate jobs for the customers it wants to sell to . . . well, that's a bad economic model.
      October 26, 2016 10:02 AM MDT

What about the customers they mow down on the road.   That's coming next.
      October 26, 2016 10:15 AM MDT

Nah, I'll bet that some insurance actuary somewhere endorsed the theory that that kind of "collateral damage" will be lower with the "Drive-O-Matic" systems than with an actual human driver that's being pushed beyond their limits on a daily basis. They have an "Expert Report" in hand to prove it!

USR's V.I.K.I is a lot closer to reality than you might think.
      October 26, 2016 10:41 AM MDT

Oh it is a certainty.   I know it will come to fruition soon enough.   Who knows, maybe it will even work.  It beats Joe "I haven't slept in days and need a beer" Schmo ramming into passengers if they can lower the rate of those kinds of casualties, maybe some good will come out of it.

But most of the people whose lives have been spared may want to die when they see less and less opportunity for future employment with this kind of new wave of machines replacing us.   It is inevitable, but will it be an unnecessary evil?   Maybe, but we cannot hide under a bushel forever just to save jobs that may no longer be of any use either. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at October 26, 2016 3:10 PM MDT
      October 26, 2016 10:45 AM MDT

Hello Mr:

Yeah, people are scared of new technology..  Planes DO crash, after all..  Look..  We're going through a major transformation of our workplace.  Yes, SOME people will be displaced..  I'm sorry that you did.  That's just what happens.  Personally, I LIKE advancements.. I'm NOT negatively impacted by them..  Maybe, it's because I'm flexible..  I didn't get a job at ONE place and expect to HAVE that job forever.. 

excon
      October 26, 2016 10:56 AM MDT

• That's nice.
      October 26, 2016 3:11 PM MDT

There's a made-for-TV movie in there somewhere.
      October 26, 2016 2:30 PM MDT

• Please review the episode concerning M -5 on the original Star Trek.
      October 26, 2016 8:12 PM MDT