Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Does the Tex guv have the legal right to strip the Dems of their pay for walking out on a vote? What authority do guvs have over pols?

Does the Tex guv have the legal right to strip the Dems of their pay for walking out on a vote? What authority do guvs have over pols?

Posted - June 1, 2021

Responses

I don't know about Texas ... but when Republicans walked out in Oregon, the governor ordered them to either return to work or be arrested by the State Patrol.  Most of them went into "hiding" to avoid arrest.

At the least, they should not be paid for not doing their jobs.
      June 1, 2021 12:40 PM MDT

If they shouldn't get paid for not doing their jobs, I would suggest that it goes beyond just walking out this one time.  They get paid a full-time salary for a part-time job and it's even worse come campaign time - they spend even less time doing the work for the people.
      June 1, 2021 3:31 PM MDT

Being "at the job" by no means means they are DOING the job Walt. As you well know. Showing up isn't enough. But how much authority does a guv have? You do know WHY they walked out don't you? To prevent the passage of another bill meant to undemocratize the ability to vote. None of them are "doing their jobs" whose only goal is to block damage destroy. Would the REPUBLICAN GUV have done the same to REPUBLIC pols who walked out? I don't think so. Anyway it's just another black eye in American politics. Thank you for your reply Walt and Happy Wednesday to you and yours! :) This post was edited by RosieG at June 2, 2021 1:42 AM MDT
      June 2, 2021 1:41 AM MDT