Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » "Ours is not to question WHY. Ours is but to do or die!" REALLY? Who sez so? DO YOU NEVER QUESTION WHY? WHY?

"Ours is not to question WHY. Ours is but to do or die!" REALLY? Who sez so? DO YOU NEVER QUESTION WHY? WHY?

Posted - June 4, 2021

Responses

Who sez so?
    Just every single military, worldwide.
    Those serving in the military have been sent on suicide missions for thousands of years, expected to "do or die".
    Famous examples are The Alamo and the Battle of Thermopylae (Greeks vs the Persians).

The line references Tennyson's Charge of the Light Brigade, written mere days after the battle.

Charge of the Light Brigade - Wikipedia

Personally, that's one reason I could never serve in the military.
    "Sorry?  You're ordering me on a suicide mission?  F you, Magoo!" This post was edited by Walt O'Reagun at June 5, 2021 2:39 AM MDT
      June 4, 2021 2:27 PM MDT

I giggled at your tag line and thought "you and me both". You know I don't shy away from tought talk though I do rely on asterisking a lot. It's just that how many times have we warred against and later allied with? Musical chairs. People are fickle. Countries too. Now you see it now you don't. Not for me. Thank you for your reply Walt. You know I could never go along with "ours is not to question why". It's stupid and nonsensical and those who subscribe to it? Well suffice it say I'm not them. THANK GOD! I will die asking WHY. Why not? Thank you for your reply m'dear and Happy Saturday to you and yours! "_
      June 5, 2021 2:43 AM MDT

I think I first realized the stupidity of blindly following orders, in a historic context, when I read about Pickett's Charge (during the Civil War).
    The poor guy was just following the orders of his chain-of-command, and gets stuck with having the debacle named after him.
      June 7, 2021 8:24 AM MDT

That is way beyond UNFAIR. Who was the orderer? How did that poor order follower get all the blame transferred to him? Gotta ask Walt. That is beyond unendurable don't you think? Thank you for your reply! :)
      June 8, 2021 1:54 PM MDT

The assault was ordered by Gen Robert Lee ... even though Lt Gen Longstreet predicted its failure.  ("ours not to question", though)
    Maj Gen George Pickett was but one of the generals leading the assault.

Years later, when asked why his charge at Gettysburg failed, Pickett reportedly replied, "I've always thought the Yankees had something to do with it."  (Can't you hear the sarcasm in his voice?)

Pickett's Charge - Wikipedia
      June 8, 2021 2:31 PM MDT

I just came back from clicking on to the link you so kindly provided. I can't even almost imagine KNOWINGLY forging ahead into something that would be a certain failure. Have you ever been to Gettysburg Walt? Many years ago my then fiancee, who was from Pennsylvania, and I flew back to visit with his sister and brother who lived in the family home just outside of Philadelphia. We did a lot of sightseeing while we were there including visiting Gettsyburg. It was quiet and peaceful and even beautiful but I swear I heard the sounds of war inside my head. Ghosts of the dead? A very active imagination? Both? Thank you for your informative reply m'dear. I wonder how many such things occurred in various wars? KNOWING it would probably fail but doing it anyway? Could YOU do it? :) I think I'll ask.
      June 9, 2021 1:36 AM MDT

Yes - Gettysburg battlefield is one of two places I have been where my hair was constantly on end.
    The other being Roanoke Colony.
      June 9, 2021 7:54 AM MDT

Roanoke Colony? Why? I know I expect I SHOULD know to what you allude but I don't. So could you give me a synopsis of what it is please and thank you? So next time if you mention it I'll have a clue? Thank you for your reply Walt! :)
      June 9, 2021 10:15 AM MDT

Roanoke Colony is also called "the Lost Colony of Roanoke" ... because the people mysteriously disappeared.
    Allegedly, when the ship returned from England to the colony (3 years later) - it appeared that the colonists abandoned the settlement in the middle of preparing a meal, as if they were suddenly attacked.  But there was no evidence of an attack.

The current theory is that they left the settlement to join a nearby tribe.
    But no survivors were found, or came to investigate the return of a ship from England.
    It would be interesting if they could compare the DNA of the tribe with relatives of the colonists.

The Lost Colony of Roanoke | Britannica
      June 9, 2021 1:19 PM MDT

Oh my goodness Walt! Thank you for the info and the link. I clicked on it and read it. Haven't other groups around the world disappeared mysteriously too? I wonder if there is any connection among them? I can see why you'd be attracted to it. Mysteries challenge the mind to come up with theories. Brain food no doubt! Happy Thursday to thee and thine! :)
      June 10, 2021 4:46 AM MDT