Active Now

Spunky
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » "Why don't they paint spy planes blue to match the skies." As heard on TV. Well whatcha think? Good idea or offal?

"Why don't they paint spy planes blue to match the skies." As heard on TV. Well whatcha think? Good idea or offal?

Posted - June 5, 2021

Responses

If you're referring to U-2's, when they are up there, they're above the "blue sky".  While I don't know their exact color, they look dark gray to black in the sky.  Unlike a commercial airplane, these craft leave no contrails, nor do they reflect sunlight.  But MAN are they loud!   and their sound is quite unique.  

U-2 spy planes spiraling upwards (or downward to land) are a common sight here (even more so during that last Israeli conflict).  
      June 5, 2021 1:15 PM MDT

So there still are spy planes m'dear? They haven't all been replaced by satellites? You see them up your way often? Lordy be that is scary. Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :) This post was edited by RosieG at June 6, 2021 5:25 PM MDT
      June 6, 2021 6:01 AM MDT

For now there are, but it's possible that one day they may be replaced by drones. 
    Not scary, neat!  Whenever I hear the telltale sound of a U-2, I quickly look for it.  Many times trees obscure my view.  The Deeper the sound, the lower the aircraft.  Since Beale AFB is below here down in the Valley, quite a few military craft fly over.  I remember when there used to be sonic booms around here.  If I was outside and heard one, dumb young me would quickly look for the plane where the sound was (doesn't work that way).
      June 6, 2021 1:19 PM MDT

Allegedly all little girls want to be ballerinas. Do all little boys want to be astronauts? Did you Shuhak or was it something else? Think I'll ask. Thank you for your informative reply.
      June 9, 2021 4:23 AM MDT

We no longer use spy planes. Satellites are more accurate and hard to destroy.
      June 5, 2021 1:42 PM MDT

Oh. So no more planes that soar with pilots who fly them? We have delegated that to machinery? Here comes a question. Thank you for your reply E and Happy Sunday to thee and thine! :)
      June 6, 2021 5:52 AM MDT

Really?  Well, you might want to inform the Air Force and CIA about that, because someone is still flying them.  What's more, they're using a AFB right here in the US to do it.  
      June 6, 2021 1:22 PM MDT

I sit corrected. This post was edited by Element 99 at June 6, 2021 8:39 PM MDT
      June 6, 2021 5:25 PM MDT