Active Now

Malizz
my2cents
Shuhak
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » People abandon their pets. Some undoubtedly have abandoned more than one. You aren't part of that "some" are you?

People abandon their pets. Some undoubtedly have abandoned more than one. You aren't part of that "some" are you?

Posted - June 6, 2021

Responses

Never. A pet is a lifetime commitment. I've had to euthanise beloved pets due to illness, injury or decrepitude. I've never abandoned one.
      June 6, 2021 5:21 AM MDT

Us too. We had to put our beloved Tigger "down" 4 years ago. He was about 15 years old and his body just started shutting down. The vet said she could keep him alive for awhile with injections and pain meds. Who wants THAT for a beloved pet?. We fell apart that day and kept crying. Decades ago a neighbor told me he thought our cat had been hit by a car and was in the street. I ran to look and yes it was our cat. I picked her up and carried her home crying all the way. We did something illegal but I don't care. We buried her in the backyard. We held a funeral service...the kids were very young. But abandon one? How is that not like abnadoning a child which people do all the time?Pick a day any day probably somewhere a child has been abandoned at a gas station or a mall. Inhumanity. OR a child is tortured to death by the step parent and the parent does nothing to stop it. I'd better stop this track. Not good. Getting depressed.  Thank you for your reply R! :)
      June 6, 2021 5:29 AM MDT

That's not illegal in Australia and I've done it more than once.
      June 6, 2021 5:42 AM MDT

Actually we didn't know that until after the fact of the burial but we weren't about to dig her up so I don't know if subsequent owners of that house ever had occasion to go digging in that spot. We had her in a box that we put soft padding in. I guess what you'd do is just take your pet to a vet and tell vet to "get rid of" it? I think that would cause nightmares or something. Thank you for your reply R! :)
      June 6, 2021 5:50 AM MDT

It is terrible, what people will do to animals.

Someone from the Battersea Dogs' Home, in London and perhaps the oldest and most famous of these pet rescue centres, said on the radio recently that one couple returned an adopted dog because its fur colour didn't match the furniture! The Home took the animal back - and did not let them choose another.

I'm very sorry about Tigger, but I'm glad you found a suitable last resting place for her.

I've not had pets for many years, but regard the wildlife in the garden as something like it. Yesterday I trimmed the vegetation in my garden pond, and then lay there on the grass for quite a long time, just watching the frogs!

This post was edited by Durdle at June 7, 2021 4:34 PM MDT
      June 7, 2021 4:34 PM MDT