Active Now

Spunky
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » In days of yore a slap on the face with a glove resulted in a duel to the death. Imagine the trump and his et al dueling to the death?

In days of yore a slap on the face with a glove resulted in a duel to the death. Imagine the trump and his et al dueling to the death?

THRUST and PARRY

400lbs of the trump. Can you see it now?

Posted - June 8, 2021

Responses

I've endorsed bringing dueling back to politics, a number of times.

btw - dueling doesn't have to be "to the death".
    It depends on the severity of the grievance.

Of course, there is "to the pain", from The Princess Bride.

“To the pain means this: if we duel and you win, death for me. If we duel and I win, life for you. But life on my terms. The first thing you lose will be your feet. Below the ankle. You will have stumps available to use within six months. Then your hands, at the wrists. They heal somewhat quicker. Five months is a fair average. Next your nose. No smell of dawn for you. Followed by your tongue. Deeply cut away. Not even a stump left. And then your left eye—"

And then my right eye, and then my ears, and shall we get on with it?" the Prince said.

Wrong!" Westley’s voice rang across the room. "Your ears you keep, so that every shriek of every child shall be yours to cherish—every babe that weeps in fear at your approach, every woman that cries 'Dear God, what is that thing?' will reverberate forever with your perfect ears.”
      June 8, 2021 12:27 PM MDT

Geez Walt I heard of but never saw THE PRINCESS BRIDE. It sounds hilarious. It reminds me of that Monty Python movie where the arms and the legs are gone and the body with head keeps wanting to fight on. But what jumps out at me? Duals NEED NOT END IN DEATH? Every movie I ever saw it did.

Now bring dueling back to politics? A skinny minny ninny and an obese old man? What happens when the person who got the glove in the face is a yellow belly coward and runs away? You know the trump and his et al would definitely leave. Being as how most pols are yellowbelly cowards and afraid of their own shadows I doubt there'd be any duels ever. Who/m do YOU think is BRAVE enough to show up for one? I'll ask. Thank you for your reply! :)
      June 8, 2021 12:35 PM MDT

Yup.  There are actually very formal rules for dueling.
    The Code Duello was adopted in much of Ireland, England, and the Continent in 1777.
    Code Duello: The Rules of Dueling | American Experience | Official Site | PBS

June 8, 2021 1:12 PM MDT

You know what I think Walt? There is a code for everything. There is also an audience for everything/everyone. There is also the players who will perform for them anything at anytime in any way for however long.

Of course that is revoltingly disgusting but well someone said (and I DISAGREE) "nothing human is foreign to me". AS IF! Thank you for your reply! What circumstance would cause you to duel? I'm gonna ask.
      June 8, 2021 1:19 PM MDT

Those who refused to duel were labeled as cowards.
    The penalty varied.
    In the 1800s, northern states didn't place much importance on dueling - as opposed to southern states.
    In the southern states, if you refused a duel you may have a fliers with your likeness posted around town proclaiming your cowardace.
    Since duels were also to "restore honor", you may find yourself shunned by polite society - you would retain your legal rights, but no "gentlemen" would do business with you, and you find yourself unwelcome at social events.
    In extreme situations, depending on the offense, you could find yourself badly beaten by thugs hired by the challenger.
      June 8, 2021 1:27 PM MDT

Good gravy I had no idea it was this complicated. So many rules and regs. Know what? It sounds like a busy box made to keep toddlers very busy. Switches and knobs and thingamajibs to fill up time. That an entire dogma about dueling exists and controlled what people did? They must have been dullards and mental midgets to put so much store in that. No time to educate themselves about the more important things in life. Too busy slapping reacting doing. FOPS? Fancily dressed elites who didn't have to work for a living because they lived off of family money so to fill time they manufacture something like this? I mean c'mon! Thank you for your reply and the info Walt. Stupid dumb didn't just come with the trump and his et al. It pre-existed him. Though he dd raise it to its finest hour! (:(
      June 8, 2021 1:34 PM MDT

Cheeseburgers at 20 paces. 
      June 8, 2021 2:12 PM MDT