Active Now

Slartibartfast
Malizz
Thebigd
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Is there something about you that is very weird that you'd be willing to share with us?

Is there something about you that is very weird that you'd be willing to share with us?

Me

I am an exceedingly TRUSTING person.
I am an exceedingly SUSPICIOUS person.

You say that is impossible.You can't be both at the same time since they are total opposites? Well you want me to lie? That's me to a T.

How? Beats me.

Now it's YOUR turn.

Posted - June 8, 2021

Responses

I always melt ice cream in the microwave (44 seconds) before eating it.
      June 8, 2021 2:11 PM MDT

Aren't you missing the point of ice cream then? A melty warm thing you can consume with a straw? How did you happen to arrive at doing that Shuhak? Now I've put a pint in the microwave if it were exceedingly hard for a few seconds. But you microwave for 44 seconds? I used to microwave cheese on a corn tortilla for a quick snack and I'd also use 44 seconds. What are the odds of that? Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday to thee and thine! :)
      June 9, 2021 2:34 AM MDT

ever buy a carton if ice cream on a hot summer's day only to have it soft and partly melted by the time you get home?  To me that's the PERFECT consistency of ice cream.  It's probably a comfort thing from my childhood.

June 10, 2021 10:56 AM MDT

Did you have Foster's Freeze up north Shuhak? Soft-serve? We did and I loved it! So yes I get where you're coming from. I've gotten ice cream so hard a spoon would not go into it. I've put in the microave for a few seconds just so I can scoop it out! Thank you for your reply. Your FAVORITE flavor or does it change?
      June 10, 2021 12:34 PM MDT

There used to be one here, but it went out of business some 45-50 years ago (there's a auto parts store where it once stood).   I can still remember going there after church once in awhile and getting a soft-serve cone (I think it was called a Frosty).
    I don't know what's in the soft serve places have now, but it makes me sick.

Vanilla.  
      June 10, 2021 2:23 PM MDT

I like the ones with bits of vanilla bean in them. Once I tasted GREEN TEA ice cream. It was in a Chinese restaurant and it was sublime. Also once upon a time in an Italian restaurant I ordered Spumoni and it was to die for. It was the REAL THING. For many years my favorite ice cream was something I'd get at Baskin Robbins...it was a coffee flavored ice cream with ribbons of fudge...Jamoca Almond Fudge. Then many years ago in Pennsylvania where we went to visit my then-husband's family I had my first taste of FROZEN CUSTARD ice cream. Oh my word it was heavenly. Now I mainly eat CARBSMART or other sugar-free ice cream. I doll it up with fruits and nuts and a bit of whipping cream. It's delicious! Thank you for your reply Shuhak. Boy get me on the topic of food and I just keep going! :)
      June 11, 2021 2:31 AM MDT

We had an ice creamery here back in the early 80's.  They had virtually every kind of ice cream imaginable (at that time) - even bubblegum (complete with gumballs).  @ $1.25, their cones were pricey,but their ice cream was good.  Going there and ordering vanilla would have been rather dumb (especially considering that the Thrifty next door sold cones for .10 per scoop).  So when I went there, I usually ordered a malt ball ice cream cone.  I tried to get them to make marshmallow ice cream, but they said they couldn't (however, I did get them to create a marshmallow sundae for me).
      June 11, 2021 2:09 PM MDT

Gee i remember THRIFTY's ice cream. It was pretty doggone good as i recall. I think any kind of ice cream tastes good to a kid. What was the name of your ice creamery and it no longer exists?  Too bad. Thank you for your repy Shuhak! :).
      June 12, 2021 4:36 AM MDT

It was called Swenson's.  Want some irony?  They tore the place down and built a giant Rite-Aid (formerly Thrifty) on the spot.
      June 12, 2021 11:30 AM MDT

Swenson's seems vaguely familiar for some reason. Back in the day I'd have Thrifty ice cream but I don't recall ever having any ice cream from Rite Aid. When you remove food and replace it with non-food (well you can buy candy and snacks I guess) I think that's a step backward. There are a bazillion drug stores. All alike everywhere you go. End to end they are indistinguishable from one another. I guess it could be worse. It could be a politician's "headquarters"! Thank you for your reply Shuhak! Happy Sunday to you and yours! :)
      June 13, 2021 3:18 AM MDT

Swenson's was out of San Francisco.
    Rite-Aid kept the Thrifty brand (to this day).  Our new Rite-Aid store contained a ice cream cone station (like the old store), but I think it didn't draw the crows it used to.  I believe they finally took it out in their last remodel. 

June 13, 2021 11:46 AM MDT

How long ago Shuhak? You know my son graduated from Cal Berekely in 1987 where he got his undergraduate degree. When he lived up in Albany I'd visit him a couple of times a year. Was Swensons still there then? I know I"ve heard about it before. Thank you for your reply! :)
      June 14, 2021 7:13 AM MDT

According to what I can find, it Swenson's stated in San Francisco in 1948 and opened up a chain of parlors in the mid '70's.  According to Google, the original restaurant is still operating on Hyde Street.
      June 14, 2021 9:33 PM MDT

Thank you for the info Shuhak. I think that is super awesome...the original is still operating! Good to know. Happy Tuesday to you! :)
      June 15, 2021 1:31 AM MDT