Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Is the gender of your primary care physician important?

Is the gender of your primary care physician important?

I am male.  For many years my primary care physicians were male.  However, my healthcare provider assigned a female doctor as my primary care physician after my male primary care physician left the medical practice.  I was not totally comfortable in discussing certain things with my female doctor.  After qualifying for Medicare I selected a male doctor as my primary care physician.  

Posted - June 14, 2021

Responses

My primary care doc is a female and I like her much better than the two male doctors I had before her.  The cardiologist is a male as is the gynecologist.  
      June 14, 2021 7:59 AM MDT

Have had both and no preference on what gender. 
      June 14, 2021 8:46 AM MDT

Not an issue. I've had primary care doctors of both genders, the current one is male. Every time I've had surgeries, I've had nurses of both genders too.
      June 14, 2021 10:05 AM MDT

It's not as important to me, as it is whether or not they are actually a doctor.
    I hate when I make an appointment to see a doctor, and get stuck with a nurse.  (and I don't mean a Nurse Practitioner)
    Sure, a nurse has medical education - but not nearly as much as a doctor.

I could see it may be embarrassing for a younger person ... but once you reach a certain age, you realize they've seen it all before and you're just a customer to them.
      June 14, 2021 11:08 AM MDT

All of my PCPs, except on one of my ships, were men. I'll be honest and say I prefer men because that's what I'm used to.
      June 14, 2021 11:58 AM MDT

I only go to Male doctors, they understand what a male and his body goes through alot better.
      June 14, 2021 12:32 PM MDT

Not really.  Their ability and personality is what is important to me. 
      June 14, 2021 1:02 PM MDT

I am a male, almost 35. Yes, I much prefer a male Dr. For me a female just feels awkward, for a full physical and such. I have had a female once when I needed a urologist. I was uncomfortable going at first, but she was really nice and didn't make me feel uncomfortable, due to her nature, and was a good Dr. I prefer a male as we have the same parts and doesn't feel as uncomfortable to me. I would go to a female Dr. if I absolutely had to, the most important thing is that they are a good Dr. and they know all of their stuff.
      June 20, 2021 8:17 PM MDT

As a female, I prefer a male Dr. The ones I have had have a better bedside manner. 
    But the main thing is they listen and know what they are doing. This post was edited by my2cents at June 23, 2021 11:07 AM MDT
      June 23, 2021 11:06 AM MDT

Not really I think. I have had a female pcp who recently retired and I wanted to sign up for another one in the same medical building which, as it turns out, is occupied mostly by women.  So one I picked was not accepting and new people so I went with another I don't know and have never heard of.  Male or female I would guess they all have a certain way of doing things which goes with their profession.  But most likely I will not see her unless absolutely necessary. 
      June 23, 2021 9:01 PM MDT