Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
DannyPetti
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » The obscenely wealthy are often limited intellectually. They don't know when they have enough because they always want MORE! The rest of us?

The obscenely wealthy are often limited intellectually. They don't know when they have enough because they always want MORE! The rest of us?

We KNOW when we have enough and count our blessings. We don't begrudge other sane and normal people from seeking to have enough.

But the obscenely wealthy to whom money is the be all and end all? They are stuck in the rut of I WANT.

They never have moved beyond that I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT. They get along well with one another. They are the only ones who can stand one another.

Posted - June 15, 2021

Responses

“Those who love money will never have enough.”  – King Solomon

Wealth is a harsh taskmaster, yet many people eagerly seek to be under its yoke.  They think wealth will give them unlimited freedom, when in fact it gives just the opposite.  The wealthy are always worrying about losing it their wealth.  For where there is wealth there are people who want to take it for themselves.  The wealthy have to pay bodyguards to protect them lest they be kidnapped and ransomed for their wealth.  They wealthy must pay to keep lawyers on retainer in case someone tries to take their wealth through “legal” methods (such as being wrongfully sued).  The wealthy must pay accountants to constantly make sure their money is "still there" – in good times and bad.  The wealthy must worry about who gets their wealth when they die; who’s “worthy” of it.  The wealthy spend their lives accumulating things believing that they will make them happy.

Wealth never brings contentment.   "More, more.. I'm still not satisfied."

June 15, 2021 3:05 PM MDT

You bring up some very valid points I had not considered m'dear for which I thank you as usual. That thing about bodyguards and lawsuits especially. I think they build SAFE rooms in their mansions to which they escape when someone breaks in. I mean seriously a SAFE ROOM? I think there is nothing intrinsically wrong with being wealthy. But it's HOW you got it and WHAT YOU DO WITH IT that shapes people's perceptions of you. Some use their wealth for the good of others. Of course that's the ideal. Some use their wealth to harm others and that's probably a lot of them. Imagine having to have a bodyguard with you everywhere you go? What an awful way to live. Also when you are wealthy you will never know if people like YOU or your money and what it can do for them if they are convincing suck ups. And the very wealthy have those prenuptial agreements to protect them against gold diggers/gigolos. That's a lot of stuff we regular folks never have to deal with or worry about. If you were suddenly wealthy do you think you would remain unchanged or would it affect you in ways you might not like? I know. How on earth can you answer that question before the fact? Thank you for your thoughtful and informative reply Shuhak and Happy Wednesday! Yesterday it got up to at 113. Today will be cooler...only 103! How are you doing heat-wise?
      June 16, 2021 2:27 AM MDT

Yes.  Wealth may seem like a good thing, but where there is wealth there are people who want to take it away.  And that brings fear.

I'd like to think it wouldn't change me, but the reality is it would.  Whether we think so or not, money has a way of changing people.  

OUCH!!!    It's gotta be bad when 103 is considered "cooler". 

Its not that bad here... yet.  Right now it's 92 here   Tomorrow and friday will be the hottest days (102).  I got the house down to 66 this morning in preparation (opened the entire house at 4 am).  It won't last long, but at last for now it's cool.
      June 16, 2021 1:54 PM MDT

We do the exact same thing here too m'dear. Try to "cool down" the house as much as possible when the temps are at their lowest. Right now it's 72 outside and very pleasant. Inside it's 83 but it will drop somewhat. We have our AC set at 84 which is comfy. The sad thing is summer hasn't officially arrived. It will on Jim's mom's birthday...June 21. We're gonna have a hot time in the old town this year. Hemet...Grass Valley...San Francisco...San Diego. Up and down the state. Oh boy. Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :) This post was edited by RosieG at June 17, 2021 10:16 AM MDT
      June 17, 2021 6:02 AM MDT

How do you know they are intellectually limited?
      June 15, 2021 5:21 PM MDT

When will you answer the question I ask E?. Why are you so limited that you must question my question? If you cannot answer it why are you here? What is your point?. To show that you don't know but you want attention? Seriously. You are better than that but you continue to follow the same MO. Do you enjoy it? Do you feel vindicated? What is it exactly that prompts you to do that? Most of my muggers always answer the question I ask. You don't. No reason? Just because you can? Of course I can just simply ignore you. There is always that. This post was edited by RosieG at June 16, 2021 6:03 AM MDT
      June 16, 2021 2:17 AM MDT

Your question is based on a possibly false premise and conjecture. I cannot answer it if I don't believe it.
      June 16, 2021 6:06 AM MDT