Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » So Joe tells Vlad we won't tolerate being the target of cyber attacks. Joe can't effect that with words. What will it take?

So Joe tells Vlad we won't tolerate being the target of cyber attacks. Joe can't effect that with words. What will it take?

How do we make ourselves INVULNERABLE To CYBERATTACKS?

Impossible?

Posted - June 17, 2021

Responses

You can't tell me that we don't have hackers that are equally adept as the ones in the countries that are hacking us.  I don't know why we are unable (or unwilling) to get really serious about this very serious issue. This post was edited by SpunkySenior at June 17, 2021 8:38 AM MDT
      June 17, 2021 8:38 AM MDT

Maybe Biden will talk the World into not buying Russian oil - oil is the only resource that Russia has to sell so it would really hurt them. Cheers!
      June 17, 2021 10:12 AM MDT

Aren't we weaning ourselves away from oil entirely Nanoose? Going to CLEAN power and fuel and leaving in the past the fossil fuels? If that's all that Russia has going for it well now isn't Russie DOOMED? Thank you for your reply m'dear! :)
      June 17, 2021 1:11 PM MDT

In most Countries in the World it is illegal for a hacker to hack inside or outside their Country. But in Russia there is no laws against a hacker - hacking a person, a business or a institution outside of Russia the only time hacking is illegal in Russia is if the hacker -  hacks a person, a business or a institution inside of Russia. So I think the World has to get Russia to change their hacking laws. Cheers!
      June 17, 2021 10:44 AM MDT

Realistically what are the ODDS of that ever happening Nanoose? The vlad is like Don Guano. Rules are made for others not them. They are the law the rule the everything. Both are pompous a**es who elevate themselves in their own heads as the world around them gets crushed by their own incompetence uncaring inadequacies. Two of a kind. A pair of whatevers. SIGH. Be glad your country has escaped that evil. I know you are. Thank you for your reply Nanoose! :)
      June 17, 2021 12:54 PM MDT

The current primary cyber attack threat seems to be the "Ransomware" attacks.

I'm not sure if the following has been tried, but the expense should be compared with the importance of the company to be protected, and with the importance of the service it provides, and depending on the nature of the business:

i) Keep an emergency duplicate-hardware system with the required operating system and with all required installed applications, to be kept off-line (cut off from any external communication access) and shut down, and to which no one has access except authorized emergency security staff trained for this particular type of, what is known in the trade, as "disaster recovery".

ii) Separate frequent snapshot data backups of the current system data.

If the main system should become substantially-compromised by a cyber attack such as randsomware, it should then be possible to take the entire compromised-system off-line, and instead use the emergency system, to which NOT the most recent data backup should be applied. This means the most recent data backup should be DISCARDED (thereby accepting some data loss) so as to avoid any cyber attack contamination.

In the first instance, all normal staff should be temporarily excluded from accessing the emergency system. Only trained disaster recovery security staff should be allowed access.

This post was edited by Robert at June 17, 2021 3:38 PM MDT
      June 17, 2021 3:15 PM MDT