Discussion » Questions » Family » While approaching your first full term, did you read "how to" books on baby psychology, or did you rely on your own natural instinct?

While approaching your first full term, did you read "how to" books on baby psychology, or did you rely on your own natural instinct?

Posted - October 27, 2016

Responses

I read parenting books and I wish I wouldn't have. 
      October 27, 2016 9:36 PM MDT

Reading pregnancy books are even worse.  With my first, I worried about everything!

Funny how you wise up the next time around.  
      October 27, 2016 9:41 PM MDT

Exactly. Instinct is better... probably for most. 
      October 27, 2016 9:56 PM MDT

I know it.  It's good that there was no internet when I was pregnant.  I really would have driven myself nuts.  
      October 27, 2016 9:59 PM MDT

• During my wife's first pregnancy in 1979, we thought we might pick up some tips from Dr Benjamin Spock. We both felt his book's rightful place was the trash bin, and that's where he was despatched. 
      October 28, 2016 1:51 AM MDT

• I believe Spock later decided that his first book on parenting had recommended too much permissiveness.
      October 28, 2016 4:33 AM MDT

Interestingly enough, his book didn't bother me much.  It was all the other stuff that did.
      October 28, 2016 11:11 AM MDT

• I read passionately on every aspect of having babies before conception and during my pregnancies.
    I was certain that instinct was not enough, especially considering my family background.
    On holidays in the rural areas of Bali, I observed that all ages cared for those younger than themselves.
    Boys and girls alike grew up learning the arts of caring, always with adults not far away.
    What I saw seemed ideal. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at October 28, 2016 1:48 AM MDT
      October 27, 2016 11:00 PM MDT

• It's a very, very mistaken notion that most people hold, that being a caring person is a sign of "unmanliness" in a boy. Boys are also human, they are also capable of love, and stifling it in the pursuit of some "traditional" social norm inhibits their personality development, doing them a grave injustice.
      October 28, 2016 1:48 AM MDT

• Agreed. I feel warm and delighted when I see men and boys show their nurturing side: carrying a youngster on shoulders, cooking a yummy, nutritious meal, listening to emotions and experiences, mopping up tears, applying a dressing to a wound...
      October 28, 2016 4:37 AM MDT

• When I got pregnant, I started reading What To Expect When You're Expecting, I threw it away after a shot while. Nothing was happening like the book said it was supposed to. I realized I didn't need that kind of stress at that time. Those books can really mess you up. Every pregnancy is different and do not follow a stat formula.  
      October 28, 2016 5:00 AM MDT

THAT was the book that got me wired too!  
      October 28, 2016 11:10 AM MDT

• The first thing I tell women when I find out they are pregnant is to NOT read that book. :)
    It will give you nightmares. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at October 28, 2016 3:39 PM MDT
      October 28, 2016 12:34 PM MDT

I know it.  I remember a friend who was a nurse gave me a medical book when I was carrying my daughter.  That thing had pictures of birth defects!  It was my first pregnancy and I was young and anxious to begin with.  

I know if my daughter were to ever get pregnant, I would do all I could to reassure her and not give her books like that to read. 
      October 28, 2016 3:42 PM MDT

• I was 36 when I had my daughter.  I had already seen my friends go through their pregnancies so I  pretty knew what to expect, to a point.  One of my friends have me that stupid book and like the idiot I am,  I started reading it.  I just about cussed her out later.  
      October 28, 2016 6:32 PM MDT

....why?   

Why would a grown man care?  Only Randy asks this stuff.  LOL

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at October 28, 2016 3:42 PM MDT
      October 28, 2016 11:14 AM MDT