Active Now

Slartibartfast
Randy D
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » The speed and direction of revolutions and obrbitings have remained pretty much the same. What would happen if it changed?

The speed and direction of revolutions and obrbitings have remained pretty much the same. What would happen if it changed?

What if everything changed gears so to speak and starting moving in the opposite direction?

Posted - June 25, 2021

Responses

If everything reversed, we would be in the Southern Hemisphere. :)
      June 25, 2021 8:50 AM MDT

Our Aussie friend who is living in winter now would LOVE that! Thank you for your reply L! :)
      June 26, 2021 11:51 AM MDT

The weather in Quito, Ecuador, which is right at the Equator, has great weather all year 'round.  I would love to live there.
      June 26, 2021 11:57 AM MDT

People say the same thing about San Diego, California L. You've been to Quito then? Habla espanol? Or is that not the language they speak? Equadorian? Thank you for your reply! Would your family be willing to move from their homes to join you there? Visiting would be a very long trip elsewise! :)
      June 26, 2021 1:20 PM MDT

Yes, I have been to Quito.  The climate is much like San Diego, but without earthquakes, forest fires, etc. although they do have a few volcanoes which have been dormant.  I took Spanish in high school, had a few Latin boyfriends, but haven't had much opportunity to use it in a long while.  No, my nieces and nephews are too young to make that kind of move because they would need to work and I doubt they would be able to find good jobs there.  For a retiree, it's heaven - the cost of living is very low.  Household help is very available at a very reasonable cost.  My friend's family had a full-time, live-in nanny for the kids, shared a chauffeur with another family and had a cleaning lady come in once a week and the cost was $800 a month for all three.  Fruits and vegetables are abundant and inexpensive.  From where they lived to almost anywhere else in Quito, the taxi fare was $3-5.  They were near a big shopping mall and an even bigger open-air market.  The people were very friends and most spoke enough English for me to get by with my limited Spanish.
      June 26, 2021 1:59 PM MDT

Of course you know what caught my eye! "...and an even bigger open-air market"! I can see how it would very appealing. I can see me shopping at the open air market quite often. I'd investigate the mall too of course but food always takes precedence over everything else I can buy! Sounds nifty. That kind of life appeals to me. Thank you for your reply ! :)
      June 26, 2021 2:21 PM MDT

Their fruits and vegetables are displayed in the most beautiful ways and don't get me started on how inexpensive fresh flowers are.

June 27, 2021 8:30 AM MDT

I'd probably buy some of everything that is displayed there and I know that's just a tiny part of it. Well would you be maybe visiting your friends in Ecuador after you retire? When everything worldwide "gets back to normal"? Are you a good travel m'dear? I'm not. I am a royal pain in the A**. Something to look forward too maybe? Thank you for sharing that photo. So far it's the best thing I've seen today. Oh. Today will be 108 here. I know. Whatcha gonna do? I think Oregon is gonna be way up there to. What do you expect weatherwise in New York? Happy Sunday sweetie! :) This post was edited by RosieG at June 27, 2021 8:44 AM MDT
      June 27, 2021 8:44 AM MDT

If you think that's impressive, you should see what it looks like in the supermarkets.  Everything is trimmed so you don't have to do it.  All the outside lettuce leaves, the skins of the onions, etc. are removed.  It looks like a Monet painting.  My friend' son was only stationed there at the US Embassy for three years, and he's now in Honduras.  We all wish (including him and his family) that he was back in Ecuador. :)

I haven't done much traveling by air in the past few years.  Last time was to Nashville for one of my nephew's wedding.  My youngest niece is getting married in October, so I'll be flying to Colorado for that wedding.  I'm not a bad traveler, but it used to be more fun.  Not it's just a pain in the neck with all the restrictions and security.  

We have a heat advisory because it will be in the 90s, but the humidity is high and the air quality is only fair.  Stay cool.
      June 27, 2021 9:55 AM MDT

An edible MONET? Be still my heart. You do realize your description is figuratively "killing" me don't you? Well the very best Farmer's Market I've ever been to so far was in Honolulu near the University. No surprise there but what WAS a surprise? There was a stand selling FRIED GREEN TOMATOES! I LOVE them but never find them anywhere. Ever had any? I expect the one you show in Quito is even more so wondrous than the one in Honolulu.. Thanks for sharing about something I would never know if it weren't for you. :)
      June 28, 2021 6:13 AM MDT

Just about every farmers market looks like that one.  You'd fall in love with them all.
      June 28, 2021 10:18 AM MDT

Oh lordy! Well it's really nice to know that m'dear. I bet everywhere has something fantastic about it. For me being a Foodie has worked really well. It pushes me to eat healthier and cook healthier by researching all kinds of things about the foods we eat. Some knowledge scares me a lot. The GMO? YIKES. But being informed and using that info is what has kept us healthy I think. At least it didn't hurt! Thank you for your reply L! :)
      June 29, 2021 3:48 AM MDT

True. :)  Happy Tuesday. :)
      June 29, 2021 7:38 AM MDT

Thank you L and Happy Thursday July 1 to thee! :)
      July 1, 2021 4:46 AM MDT

Happy Thursday.  I can't wait for this week to be over!
      July 1, 2021 7:57 AM MDT

Well me love this week is worse here in California. EXTREMES of heat...DROUGHT worsened. I bet where you are too it's worse! SIGH. Will next week be better or ever worser? OY VEY and GADZOOKS and OMG! Thank you for your reply L! :)
      July 9, 2021 7:39 AM MDT

This week we had temps near 90, but yesterday it eased off a bit and overnight, we got the remnants of Elsa through the night and up until about 9:30 this morning.  Now, it's just windy, but not hot at all and I have all my windows open.  I hope you get some relief soon.
      July 9, 2021 8:25 AM MDT

AS of this morning including today
    103 102 101 103 100 96 95 95

Better than 107 but not nearly as better as 70. Which will come at the end of autumn I expect. But now Governor Newsome has asked us to cut our water usage by 15%. Asked not ordered but I'm sure that will happen. Heat Drought. Can fires be far behind? Well we're gonna find out once again eventually. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      July 9, 2021 12:08 PM MDT

We're back up to 84 and humid with the sun peeking out.  Still a nice breeze, though, so no A/C or fans needed.
      July 9, 2021 12:28 PM MDT

Yesterday it got up to 107. AARRGGHH! But thankfully our air conditioning is working very well. Today the high predicted for Saturday is 102. No plans to go out. Jim would be playing golf this morning but thankfully he told his friend Alan he wouldn't be playing today. They Tee off at 8am and by 10am it's already in the 90's! What Jim does do however is from to time he walks down to the golf course which is two blocks away in our retirement community about 6am when it is light enough and cool and might spend an hour or so on the greens practicing shots. He gets home before 8am and also carries with him a huge umbrella to keep the sun off as he walks home with his golf club cart. He gets the exercise and the practice and he enjoys having the course all to himself. How lucky is that? But not today. Today is the women's finals at Wimbledon which starts at 6am. Tomorrow the men's finals will be played so our weekend entertainment is focused on that! Sadly Roger Federer was eliminated several rounds ago. He has been our favorite player for several decades but in August he will be 40 and that's  pretty old to be a competitive tennis player. Also he had two knee surgeries not too long ago. Golfers have a longer life on the greens. Tennis players run all over the place all the time and it's very hard on the body. The older you get the less good you become. Jim hasn't played tennis this entire year. When he plays it is doubles not singles so that's easier on the body. Anyway sorry for carrying on so! Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday to you my friend! :) This post was edited by RosieG at July 10, 2021 7:15 AM MDT
      July 10, 2021 3:49 AM MDT

I'm happy to know that your A/C is working well.  Last week, our electric company cut the output 6-8%.  Too bad they don't cut the cost by the same amount!  Jim must be unhappy not being able to play golf for such an extended period of time.  I'm not much of a tennis buff, but did hear about Federer. 

We had more rain again last night, thunder, lightening, the whole shebang, but it's a bit cooler this morning.  Temps will go up later today into next week.  I'm so happy to still be able to work from home.  

Happy Saturday. :)
      July 10, 2021 7:18 AM MDT

The spectre of rolling brownouts and blackouts lies overhead. It will depend on the fires and the extreme heat. As for rain you are so very lucky sweetie. But then we know we live in a desert and that always has potential consequences. There is nothing remotely deserty about New York! Thank you for your reply! :)
      July 13, 2021 7:49 AM MDT

I don't envy your situation and, if life was fair, you would get some of the rain you so desperately need and the states that are under water would get to dry out.  No, nothing deserty about New York.
      July 13, 2021 10:12 AM MDT

Methinks this is the worst it's ever been and could or will get worse. Whatever it is we'll take it in stride. Hopefully. Always have to add that to everything. Otherwise it's kinda arrogant. Thank you for your reply! :)
      July 15, 2021 1:56 PM MDT