Active Now

Randy D
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » The Miami condo in the news we learn has two "sister" buildings constructed at about the same time. Are the inhabitants SAFE? Anyone check?

The Miami condo in the news we learn has two "sister" buildings constructed at about the same time. Are the inhabitants SAFE? Anyone check?

Posted - June 25, 2021

Responses

If I lived in one of them, I would be looking for a new place.
      June 25, 2021 2:22 PM MDT

Absolutely true E. Immediately if not sooner. I hope the entire reason for the collapse is made public. Can we trust those who report on it? I dunno. I sure hope so. Thank you for your reply E and Happy Saturday to thee and thine! :)
      June 26, 2021 7:26 AM MDT

To be fair no-one will know until the reason the block collapsed has been determined. For the moment, rescuing people - or extracting bodies - and accounting for everyone is what matters; and I know this is being hampered by stormy weather.
      June 25, 2021 5:09 PM MDT

Did I tell you that the building has been sinking since the 1990's Durdle? I guess the land on which it's built wasn't all that stable. But it seems to me if they couldn't shore it up they ought to have torn it down. I don't know how you stabilize land that may be on swamp or if other states have that problem. I think the same thing happened in northern California around San Francisco. The land wasn't stable. Thank you for your reply! :)
      June 26, 2021 4:49 AM MDT

I posted that yesterday, and today on the News learnt a report made a few years ago, of serious concerns with the building, has surfaced....

I don't know the condition of the ground on which the flats were built, but analysing that would - or very much should - have been a vital part of designing the building, and approving its construction.

I think the usual way to support buildings on wet and unstable surface deposits, if they have to built there at all, is to put their floor slabs on piles driven down into the solid ground below the swamp.
      June 26, 2021 4:14 PM MDT

I heard a someone say it was built on ROCK. That it has been "settling" into the ground since the 1990's seems to make that impossible. How do you "settle down into" ROCK? I hope they get to the absolute truth and put the blame where it belongs and that someone pays. Of course lives lost or physical harm done or everything one owned totally destroyed? How do you ever make up for any of that not to mention the trauma of waking up from your sleep and having everything come crashing down on you. Just hearing about it is unnerving. Imagine experiencing it and surviving? Thank you for your reply! :) This post was edited by RosieG at June 28, 2021 6:41 AM MDT
      June 28, 2021 6:29 AM MDT

Technically, clay and sand are rock, but assuming they mean the harder versions, the entire formation could itself be of weak strata.

We won't know what happened in this case for quite a long time yet, though.
      June 29, 2021 2:44 PM MDT

Six or seven days later they are still clearing away the debris. I think so far 12 dead and 149 unaccounted for. Something that could have been prevented. Warning signs were there for YEARS. Warnings were given. I can't understand how people could not see the danger and if they didn't want to do anything about it they should have VACATED. They didn't. Go figger! Thank you for your reply Durdle and Happy Wednesday! :)
      June 30, 2021 4:59 AM MDT